OT! Anyone ? Laptop Problems

I'm putting this in several sections as OT cause I don't know where to put it.
Does anyone know about fixing puters? All of a sudden my Dell laptop keyboard has gone nuts. I didn't get it wet or anything either. I'll be typing and all of a sudden it will backspace itself or the letters will not type. It's very frustrating. Can anyone make sense of this?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• First off all, reboot the damn thing. That should always be your first step whenever it starts doing something wonkey.
    Second, is it a studio series? This is gonna sound a little weird, but go get yourself a little USB mouse (they're like 10 bucks at Walgreens) and change your touchpad settings to turn off whenever a USB mouse is connected. It seems to have solved this problem for other Studio series owners.
    Although I can't seem to find a real explanation for what's causing it, the general consensus around the IT/Geek community I frequent is that it's a touchpad issue. Open your Dell Support Center (I think that's what it's called) and update the driver for your touchpad only, then change your settings and turn touch check on max.
    I hope this helps. I can't imagine how frustrating that is!
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sticky keys are a known issue with a dell. It's really easy to assign a sticky key without realizing it. normally I'd google for you and post a helpful link, but I'm a little backlogged right now.

Start by vacuuming out the laptop, and then google the fix I mentioned.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It's not your computer. It is spyware. Mine does the same thing sometimes. Run your anti-spyware or anit-virus. I really hate it when I am typing and BAM! - I'm in the middle of another word, or the screen jumps up, and I'm at the bottom of the screen.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 1:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I'll bump for you..I HATE my hubby's laptop!!

Is anything sticking? Is anything on the "mouse" even your arm leaning?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:36 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You can also take a q-tip between each key

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thank you. *scratching Dell laptop off list*
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:50 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I wondered about that Jesse but figured my anti virus would have caught it. I'll run it again.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I, too, have been having probs with the keys on our Dell laptop.  Check these two sites for a possible fix: 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/49975-35-typing-keyboard-slow

http://www.randomsupport.com/rs/blogs/index.php?title=dell_laptop_slow_lagging_delayed_keyboar&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I fixed our problem by taking out the battery completely, and using the power cord.  I also run SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes (both are free downloads) which seem to help when things are wonky for no reason.  (ps, thanks for the links, lovin, I did get my fix from one of them!)

29again

Answer by 29again at 10:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010