OT! Anyone ? Laptop Problems

I'm putting this in several sections as OT cause I don't know where to put it.
Does anyone know about fixing puters? All of a sudden my Dell laptop keyboard has gone nuts. I didn't get it wet or anything either. I'll be typing and all of a sudden it will backspace itself or the letters will not type. It's very frustrating. Can anyone make sense of this?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Try turning your touch pad off to see if that will help. Sometimes the slightest brush of a finger or thumb will move a cursor or take you off the window you're typing in.

Another thing to do is to restart the computer, sometimes quite a few times, to see if that will reset the keyboard driver. I had to do that once when my keyboard locked up on me.

Open a Word document and select Tools/Options. Look on the Edit tab for anything that may be turned on by mistake. Like "Auto-Keyboard Switching" or something else.

As a last resort, go to www.driveragent.com and scan your laptop for out of date drivers, if there is a problem you can pay a small fee to get the drivers updated.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Just by what you are saying, it sounds like the keys are sticking for some reason. Probably the backspace key. I'd pop it and clean it out with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip to see if that helps.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Have you tried cleaning out your cache, cookies, etc and rebooting?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:35 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Google "dell sticky keys" it's a known issue. some days it happens when someone accidently assigns key board shortcuts
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Is your computer under warranty still? If so, I'd call Dell. They can help figure out what's going on. But it still honestly sounds like a keyboard issue to me. I have had laptops with keyboard issues and similar things would happen.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Nope, nothing is sticking from what I can tell. What about when it stops printing the letters when I type?
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thanks ladies, nothing has worked so I guess i will call Dell.
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010