Why is she hiding in her closet?

My sister has been telling my mom about how my neice is hiding in her closet at night. She put her in a toddler bed from her crib and that is when this all started. She gets out of her bed and goes and lays in the closet. But when she is at my mom's house, she stays in her bed all night. My sister tried putting a tv in her room ( which i thought was a bad idea) did that for a while, but it didn't help. she took the tv back out. Tried with night lights, without nightlights. Reading to her till she falls asleep, but in the morning she finds her in the closet. She doesn't do this at my mom's. So any suggestions on why she might be doing this??

cowgirlmama

Asked by cowgirlmama at 9:57 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• possibly she is sleepwalking, of having nite terrors in which thats how she copes is to go to her "safe place".you didnt mention an age, but my son is 15 months and they are creatures of habit., they will do the same things over and over, almost as if there is some comfort in it. good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• she might feel more secure in the closet. That or she has been getting up at night and playing in there, and falling asleep.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Maybe she should get a lock fr the closet & lock it up at night. That would creep me out a little. Does her toddler talk? Does she ask her why she is in the closet?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• She might like the closed-in feel of the closet, it might remind her of being closed in the crib, where the toddler bed is all open and exposed. Maybe she gets up at night and sleepwalks and ends up in the closet. My middle was like that, it took him quite a while to adjust to the toddler bed. We would either find him on the floor of his bedroom, or in the livingroom chair. Does your niece have a favorite toy or a dog/cat that can sleep with her? One thing that helped my son adjust to the 'big boy' bed was the fact that our fat cat could jump up on the bed and sleep with him. Most mornings we would find both of them sleeping in the big boy bed snuggled up together.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:08 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• what's in the closet? My kids hide when they know they shouldn't have something, maybe she's going in there to play with something and just falls asleep in there. I recommend clearing out the closet.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• no toys in the closet, nothing in there but clothes. she doesn't have anything when my sis finds her.
    cowgirlmama

Comment by cowgirlmama (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• samurai_chica - ya it freaks my sis out too. that is why I was asking the question. She says some words, but not enought to tell her mom why she isin the closet.
    cowgirlmama

Comment by cowgirlmama (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The crib was an enclosed space that probably made her feel safe. The closet provides that same comfort, because it is an enclosed space. Try putting a railing on the side or a canopy over the top of her bed to help her feel more comfortable.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010