mil

So when I got pregnant with my 2nd child my mil bought a double wide trailer so we could all live together. In the beginning she had a job and she was helping. Now that she no longer works she doesn't help with anything. She applied for disabilty and she just got her settlement for 14 thousand and will be receiving almost 2 grand a month. She has made it clear she will not help with bills. We have been paying all of them for almost 2 yrs now. We struggle week to week with nothing in savings. She is blowing her money left and right. I don't think its quite far. If she ever wants us to move out I think she should help with a little. It amazes me. She can blow 1400 dollars on a kirby vac (which she doesn't even clean!) But she refuses to help out on the bills. I'm just a little irritated and my dh won't say anything! Any opinions? Suggestions? I'm just stuck. I'm stuck. Irritated. Annoyed. Frustrated with everything.

summerdaile

Asked by summerdaile at 10:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Cut your losses and move out, when she blows all of her money and can't handle her bills maybe she will get herself together.
    DessC

Answer by DessC at 10:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Move out. If you're paying all the bills anyway, no need for you to support her. Just put it like you need your space, since your family is growing and get your own place.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• also, if she just bought it in name and you pay for it....you could always stop paying, let her either step up or they will foreclose. But again with out dh's support, not much can be done.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:11 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• ok you say she bought the trailer-is it paid for or do you and dh pay the monthly rents and mortgage? if she bought it outright then I think she did enough for a while...now if she just slapped her name on it and you all are paying for it? then you could be in trouble as technically she can make you leave, legally its HER house. no matter who pays the bills. You are kinda stuck hon if dh wont step up with you to talk to her...if you can, see abaout getting your names ont he mortgage, or find a place to live on your own...then she can sink or swim and not drag you down too. eventually? she will go thru the money and then she will drag your family down...good luck.
    Bearsjen

• That would be very frustrating. Are the bills in her name or yours? If they are in her name I would not pay them, I would say "oh, these are yours here you go". I think it might be time to have a talk with her and tell her that things need to change or else. I would give an ultimatum, and say " We can't afford to pay our share and yours too! Either you start helping out and pay your share or we WILL move out and then you will be stuck paying everything yourself!" Even if she does start paying I would still think about moving away from her. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:16 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• So crazy you are almost living my life 10 yrs ago! My dh and I bought a trailer that was signed for by inlaws. They contributed no money just name because we had no credit. 6 months in they (long story short) move in with us....and wouldn't LEAVE. They brought along his younger brother. They WERE working but refused to help with any bills! BUT they ate the food, used the power and water ands took up all the space! I handled it for about 6 more months then I gave my hubby an ultimatum. I was due with our first child in 3 more months and there was no where to put her and we were barely making ends meet. He had a choice move out with ME or stay with THEM either way I was getting OUT. He came with me and They STILL say that I "stuck them" with the trailer even though we offerend to sell it but then (duh) where would they go!? But I dont cxare I have my sanity and KNOW they are CRAZY!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• She took her IRA and cashed out. She payed out right for the trailer but she put in on Land so we pay the Land bill. No rent. No mortage. We consider the Land our rent. Everything is in her name. EVERY bill for this house. Homeowners. Electric. Property taxes. Water. Etc. It just sucks. My DH won't get up and move since we've been here for quite some time and we've built our life out here. You know sons are with their mothers. He's always looking for approval from his parents since he's fucked up so much in his past and he wants them to think better of him. I hate bs!!
    summerdaile

Comment by summerdaile (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yeah. Sounds kinda like mine. If we leave here she is just gonna turn around and sell the trailer which would mean all this time and money was a waste!
    summerdaile

Comment by summerdaile (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2010