How do women get through taking care of their kids while their spouse is overseas for over a year???

AngelOrchid

Asked by AngelOrchid at 5:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• oy what a great question! I know many women/spouses go through this all the time and make it out fine but it is kinda scary knowing it's just you doing it all......Best of luck to you and I hope your year goes soooo quickly
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 5:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I raised 3 kids as a single mom, you just do it..Do what needs to be done.
    PamLaFs

Answer by PamLaFs at 5:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My husband was in Iraq for 15 months in 2005,,,It's hard but you just do it,,you take care of the kids ,the house ,the bills,the dog , the car, etc... If you have time yourself,,then after the kids go to bed you might be able to watch the news and cry for a while. Sit their and hope and pray your husband comes back alive, and in one piece  Hope you dont answer the door and uniforms are standing their, with grim looks on their faces You get what I am saying

Answer by louise2 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i am "legally married" to a deployed soldier. it was very hard but i too am a soldier and volunteered to deploy so i wont have to deal with never having any childcare. if my H weren't such a loser i would get out the army and raise my own kids but he is not responsible enough to care for a family so that leaves me to be the provider.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 5:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It's hard. But you do it because you love your kids and spouse. My hubby was in Iraq a year and I went through my whole pregnancy, c-section, and learning how to deal with our first child alone. But you plug along because that's what you do as a military spouse. You love and support them as much as you can while they are away, and strive to maintain a strong bond. It sucks though. Sucks big time...

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 5:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i think its harder when they come home cause i was so used to making all the choices for our family and household and when he came home i had to ajust to let him help make decisions other than that i had my family to help me and i sent him many pics and letters almost everyday
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 5:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• just do it when i was with my ex we had our son .. you just do it ...
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You just do it. My husband does not go out for that long but we are all in the same situation when they are deployed. You just have to get up and decide to take control of the situation.
    jessicamelia83

Answer by jessicamelia83 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My DH is a Contractor and has been in Iraq a year, he has 4 more planned. There is no easy answer, You do your best, and you just wake up every day and go throught the motions. Remember your kids come first and try to do the best you can for them. It is a selfless life and a hard one but there is not much you can do about it. Keep your head high and be strong you will amaze yourself on what you accomplish.
    AJmum

Answer by AJmum at 1:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2008