How to stop playing referee?

I have an almos 8 year old and a 2 1/2 year old I am constantly having to break up squabbles between them, any ideas how to make them live and play in harmony?

DessC

Asked by DessC at 10:44 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope...good luck on this one- mine are 14 and 16 and I play referee ALL the time : /
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:45 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Mine were 3 years apart, and I told them they'd have to work things out themselves and not bring squabbles to me. It worked. But for children almost 6 years apart I can't think that this would work, the older child would be so much more advance physically that they would have a strong advantage. I guess that you could refuse to step in for all but physical struggles.

Answer by Bmat at 10:59 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• let them figure it out. When they argue, send them to a common place to work it out alone. They are learning valuable life skills right now (like how to get along at work with people they hate.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Let them figure it out. My parents used to say "It takes two to argue, but it takes one to end it." If they feel the need to fight, then they can figure it out themselves. They're not going to learn to get along by being forced to be nice to one another. The only way they're going to get along is if they figure out how to do it themselves and make that choice to.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:04 AM on Jul. 19, 2010