Do I need better motivation...

or a better husband?

I am obese. I want to start slow and make changes that I think I can make stick. I've tried changing everything at once and jumping into an unrealistic exercise plan etc. and it's not worked for me. I'm still obese.

I started with portion control and cutting down on sweets/chips and increasing my fruits and vegetables. Then I moved to taking my lunch with me to work.

We're still moving in to our new house so I haven't found a lot of what I need for exercising but I do have a plan for when I have found those things. I'd like to get my bicycle fixed and start commuting to work (probably take about an hour).

My husband has also decided he's fat. He likes to jump whole hog into an exercise program. I've supported him but he's told me that my small losses are probably due to the heat and that I can't do the commute.

Should I continue to look to him for support or do I just do it on my own?

Myantek

Asked by Myantek at 11:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Support is nice to have but in the long run (or bike in your case) it really up to you. My husband is the same way. Several times before we would jump full force into a routine and diet because he's always been an all or nothing kind of guy. It would last about three weeks tops and then we'd both fall off the wagon and that'd be it.

It wasn't until we decided to get involved in coed sports that we started working together on slower, more permanent changes. We started with a commitment to be more active. In getting more exercise (in a way that was just pure fun) we naturally started feeling less hungry and, without even meaning to, started downsizing our portions. We cut sweets out of our grocery trips but still indulge on occasion because cold turkey just wasn't working for us. Cutting down is much more realistic than cutting out. Such as switching to diet soda rather than dropping soda altogether. cont'd below...
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something, even if that person is your husband. If you are going to make change, make it just a little bit at a time rather than taking huge steps all at once. For example, if you want to start biking to work, try biking a few blocks at a time casually to build yourself up to a one hour bike ride. Riding your bike is a lot like setting up a running routine. It's going to be harder than you think it is and you never want to set yourself up for failure. So, start small and work your way up to a one hour bike ride to and from work. You can do anything you set your mind to.

In just our small changes my husband and I have lost 25 nd 16 pounds respectively since the beginning of May. It's always worth the effort you put into it. Good luck to you. By the way, as an added bonus, working together on a coed sports team has done wonders for helping us work together as a team at home too.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree with the above poster fully!
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010