When to start potty training and how?

I know the usual wait until they are aware that they are going and stuff but we have a little boy who is almost 18 months old. The catch is that he sufferes from chronic & acute diaper rash. The Pedi Doc said that he would get the diaper rash until he was out of diapers and potty trained. We want to get him through the diaper rash stuff and get him potty trained but I am afraid to give him a complex if I don't do it right! I hear all the horror stories of potty training failures and don't want to run into that . Any info will help! Thanks!

MarynmomofColby

Asked by MarynmomofColby at 5:18 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd start asking him everyday if he wants to use the potty. Make it exciting for him, buy him a potty, let him pick out some "big boy" underwear, give rewards whenever he goes in the potty. Some people keep M&Ms on hand and give one for each time they use the potty. I made up a potty song for my kids, "Pee pee in the potty..." repeat, lalala... and when they went #2 we'd change it to Poopie... Most kids though are all for something if you make a HUGE deal out of it. Give him high fives when he goes. Brag about it to Daddy, grandma, grandpa, etc. You will find sooner or later, they will be bragging about it to strangers, lol!
    hottiemommy2002

Answer by hottiemommy2002 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Along with Hottiemommy's ideas, I would also take him to Wal-Mart or Target and let him pick out a package of big boy undies. My son loved picking his out and it makes it that much more meaningful for him to wear them. He's not trained yet but we're working on it.
    missdanae

Answer by missdanae at 6:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i'm in the same process and cheerios in the potty is a great idea it makes potty a game for my son......its also a good way to get rid off all the cheerios on the floor....
    sirena_star

Answer by sirena_star at 11:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i started my boy at 12 months and i started on the roal potty chair for him
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 3:23 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I started potty training my son when he was one but i just got him potty trained and hes two now it took me only about three days, i realized I was doing it all wrong with the pull-ups they cant feel when their wet their just like diapers i bought big boy underwear he didn't like it but I told him if he wanted to go out he would have to wear underwear. after he used in them and it ran down his leg he wanted to go to the potty. and start boys sitting down first it is much easier for them to catch on that way and after he masters that then start him standing. Make sure he is familiar with the potty first. kids are smarter than most adults think but they are very forgetful, when they get to playing their not going to be thinking about anything but that so just remind him every thirty minutes if he has to use the potty and congratulate him every time he goes. good luck

libramom87

Answer by libramom87 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Thank you everyone! It means a lot to get some feedback. I don't feel so alone with this first time parenting stuff! :)
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 3:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2008