Newborns & Laundry Detergent

Oh my goodness Dreft costs $12. Can I just use my Tide Essentials detergent? It is plant-based and dye free. Also no phosphates or bleaches, and I don't think it has any fragrances. The ingredients are just baking soda, a combination of naturally derived cleaning agents and natural water softener and water. That won't irritate a newborn's skin, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just use any other "free & clear" detergent - no dyes & no scents

that one sounds perfectly fine.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Every baby and their skin is different. My first son wasn't bothered so much by what we had used, it was Extra cause it was cheep. Now I have to use All Free and if fabric softener, it's also free of dyes and colors. The dreft is expensive. But I just use the All for all my family now, and it isn't exactly cheep either.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You can use any detergent as long as it doesn't cause a rash or irritation...I would try it...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I know it is expensive even for the little bottle. I know alot of people that used regular detergent to wash there baby's clothes. I actually used Dreft, I didn't want to take a chance with my baby getting a rash and stuff especially if they have sensitive skin. but I knew alot of moms that used regular detergent and there babies were fine, they said that it was another way for people to make money.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 11:27 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes!
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 11:36 AM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes! i was the same way! whatever is on sale that is fragrance free!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes, you can use your regular detergent! I NEVER used Dreft. My DS #2 had very sensitive skin. He could not wear disposable diapers at all, could only be in 100% cotton etc. and he did fine with the "free and clear" regular detergent.
    I think the whole Dreft thing is a marketing gimmick.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I used Dreft for baby #1 and finally got cheap and starting using the All free & clear. He had no problems with it so now I use All for both of my kids (baby #2 since birth) with out problems. If you are concerned do one load with your tide (save a couple outfits out just in case) and maybe run the load through a second rinse to be on the safe side.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• With my first I bought Dreft for months and months, WASTE of money in my opinion! I eventually smartened up and just starting using our detergent (Tide) on all his clothes and he was fine. This time around I bought the Target brand of Dreft for the first month or so with my daughter just in case she had sensitive skin. But now I use Tide with her clothes too.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010