Adoption Fundraising.

2 Things:

Does it bother you when people do that?

If you did some fund raisers for your adoption which one(s) worked the best for you??

pjacademy

Asked by pjacademy at 11:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it depends on how you do it. And I completely disagree with those that are saying, "if you can't finance it yourself, you shouldn't adopt." The reality is, a couple that adopts, has 1.) Likely tried for years to get pregnant on their own, and 2.) possibly even tried IVF, which is quite costly.

All that aside, they want a child. I personally believe that if you want something you can find a way to save up and pay for it. But what if that takes 5 years? Or even 10 years? Would it be so bad to have family members and friends show their support by donating a little bit of money?

I look at it this way, I have a nephew with special needs. If he ever needed anything we would help in any way we can. If my sister was adopting a child, that child is already like blood to me- even if we don't know him/her yet.

I still think you should be tactful about it. But we would help and I'd expect my family to do the same if they could.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have to disagree with deadheadjen. A child is not the same thing as a new house. If you're trying to raise money to give a child a family, then I'm all for it.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think it's different if you're fundraising, contacting all of your friends and relatives, than if you called each person and asked for money.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think that the way you are doing it is very discreet and low-pressure. People can either respond or not. All you did was make it known that you would welcome some help. I am adoptive mom of two, and I understand why you might want to do this. We had been ttc for 8 1/2 years by the time our first child was born, so we'd had plenty of time to save the money for the first adoption. We had spent about $40,000 on unsuccessful infertility treatments already. I gave up my job to be a SAHM for our daughter, so we had to finance our second adoption on zero percent interest credit cards. It was four years between children, but on one income we were not able to save up the money.

Steven Curtis Chapman has a charity to help fund international adoptions. You can Google "Shohannah's Hope". I hope you are able to come up with the money to bring this little boy home!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I just wanted to say that I think selling necklaces etc, is different (at least in my eyes) than just soliciting donations, which is what I thought you meant. I think if you're offering goods/services and the money raised goes towards an adoption it's a lot different than throwing a party and passing the hat, kwim?

Glad I came back and got a better understanding. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I've never heard of it but yes, on some level it would bother me. I think if you can't adopt for financial reasons that you shouldn't expect others to contribute, just like anything else. I wouldn't dream of holding a fundraiser so I could buy a house, better car, etc. It's no one's responsibility but your own to finance your dreams.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I get that for "things" but we are talking about a child one of the 150 million in need of a home.

Maybe as an adoptive parent I just see it differently :)
    pjacademy

Comment by pjacademy (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have 2 nieces that are adopted so while I'm not an adoptive parent, I'm an aunt to 2 adoptees and understand the dynamics of the process. However if my sister came to me and said she expected me to donate towards her adoptions I'd be very put off. I don't believe in committing to any endeavor that you can not fully finance on your own. There are many noble things I'd like to be able to accomplish in life, but I do not expect people to finance these things for me.

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• thanks deadheadjen......i think that makes sense.

thank you for being honest that is why I asked here :)
    pjacademy

Comment by pjacademy (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• This is so 'iffy'. I think it's awesome that you want to adopt and I wish the world was full of people what wanted to do so. If the fundraiser was done right, it would be ok too. Like you offered a service in return for donations, but not to just go out and collect money. Some people might actually be ok with donating for something in that method, but I don't know you, so I'm not just going to hand over some money because you say you want to adopt a baby with the proceeds, if you know what I mean.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010