Want to breastfeed after having wisdom teeth removed....

I haven't had the operation done yet, but is scheduled for Nov 19th. I must have all 4 removed and I really don't want to take any drugs that may affect my breastmilk. I couldn't stand the thought of not nursing my baby but Im not so sure of how tolerable the pain will be. Is something out there that anyone has experience with to suggest what method of type of subscription there is that I may be able to take that won't cause harm to baby. Or is there anyone out there who has had them removed and tolerated the pain? Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

kahtya

Asked by kahtya at 5:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Health

• Naproxen is a step up from motrin and may work, but ask your doctor and let them know you are breast feeding, and make sure they understand that you are breastfeeding when they give you your meds. Most docs are pretty compliant. There are meds out there that you can take that won't affect the baby too much if at all.
    hottiemommy2002

Answer by hottiemommy2002 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• When my son was 3 months old I broke my foot. I was nursing him at the time and the doctor at the ER prescribed vikadin I think. The ER said I should pump and dump. I called my OB and talked to him about it. He said that it was okay for me to take the vikadin. I had a c-section and was on meds in the hospital and I was nursing so I guess there wasn't much of a differnce. I would call your OB and ask him what you can take for pain and still be able to nurse your baby. Then tell the dentist or oral surgeon, whoever is going to remove your wisdom teeth and ask him to prescribe something that your OB said would be okay.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 5:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008