Problem Yelling at my child..Advice please...

I am not abusive what so ever, and i only yell at my 17 month old when she is endangering herself or if she repetitively doesn't listen to me, and i spank her only when she doesn't listen after several times telling her something, and i gently slap her hand if she touches something isn't suppose to. I NEVER hit out of anger, but when i do Yell i yell loud. Because if i use a steady voice my 17 month old laughs and thinks im playing a game. My husband thinks my voice sounds evil, but i dont know how else to get through to my daughter without making her laugh in my face. I know i have self-esteem issues because i am a tiny and short mom, and i want to be looked at with respect..any advice?? or better options??

babySTAR09

Asked by babySTAR09 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 17 mos old too. If I yell at him, he just kind of yells back. So it's not really doing any good.

Have you tried:
    getting down to her level, and speaking calmly NO?

She's still very young. She may understand alot, but it's the in between stage of curiousity and trying new things.
    I would try distracting her instead.

Practice for one week, not raising your voice and see how she responds. It can't hurt to try.
    I could use the practice myself sometimes.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 12:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thank you :) ill try that
    babySTAR09

Comment by babySTAR09 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son laughs at me too. He is 21 months old now and my parents think I need to be more stern with him. I'm just more of a laid back type person though. If my son walks around with a piece of food I don't mind. If he does seem to be doing something dangerous...I yell and grab him, and then he gets mad at me. I don't think it's a matter of yelling maybe just the tone of voice.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i believe in being stern to, but i am easy going about knowing she is a toddler and she is going to make a mess. Im just a strong believer in respect, and when i say something you listen to me. Other wise the child gets out of hand. but of course have to be respect the age they are at.
    babySTAR09

Comment by babySTAR09 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010