Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

will the courts let him change my sons last name???

so iam in a custody battle with a guy who has never been to one doctor apt. during pregnancy or after birth. or has yet to pay for anything..he said he was going to fight like hell for "that kid" to have his last name. we were never married (in fact it was a one night stand) (i know gross) he is not on the birth certificate and my son already has a s.s card. will the courts let him change his last name from mine to his? if they do my child's initials will be STD not cool!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • ok i went through this myself here in texas and here in texas they wil let them change the last name i didnt want my daughters last name changed but he did and they said he has just as much rights to have it changed but the thing is its a long and irritating process dealing with alot of paperwork and money to get it changed so i told mine that if he wanted hers changed he would have to pay for it and guess what no money yet so no name change lol

    Answer by momof4onesApup at 12:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

  • Since he isn't on the birth certificate, how could he?

    Answer by MKSers at 12:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

  • My sister in law went through the same thing in NE, and yes the courts did say she had to change the last night. He had to pay for all the necessary items that were required to get her name changed.

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

  • they will put him on the birth certificate after its done

    Answer by momof4onesApup at 11:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.