Development question...i need thoughts....

okay my ds is 11 weeks old and will be 12 weeks friday...i keep reading that he should be reaching for objects and hold rattles in his hand but he will only look at them then eventually get bored....he has a really good grip but when i put something in his hand he will just throw his hand up to throw the object away...is it ok that he wont hold or reach for anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the books are just the avg for development. so dont freak out if your baby isnt doing something right on the schedule they give. Now if your baby is 3 months and doesnt reach for things then it's time to be concerned. Also bring up your concerns with your child's dr Im sure they'll be happy to talk to you about any developmental issue you have q's about
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 5:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• kids develop at different rates my son is three and a half months old and isn't reaching out either. neither does the baby I do daycare for and he is the same age.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• The development graphs are approximate ages. Don't worry, once your baby starts reaching for things everything else will happen quickly.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Pfft. Those books, I made myself crazy with those books with my first daughter. I learned that kids do everything on their own schedule. Don't worry yourself too much!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 5:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I will share with you the advice my husband shares with me (DAILY): The books are just a guide... do not rely on them for concrete answers. In fact, I resort to read for answers so much that "The books said..." is banned on our house as both an answer and a start to a sentence!
    madlyinlove412

Answer by madlyinlove412 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Dawson is 11 weeks and he doesn't grab for things or hold them. He will grip them if they are placed in his hand... maybe. He does swat at things... like the toys on his playmat and on his carseat but doesn't reach.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:12 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My son is 12 weeks and is just now starting to seem interested in things in reach, but doesn't swat or grab things yet. he just kinda stares out and focuses.

Don't worry it will come in due time!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:52 AM on Oct. 2, 2008