Is it possible for Dr's to be wrong about the due date?

I am 21 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child but first little girl. My due date is supposedly November 30th. I say supposedly because after I had the ultrasound the Dr said that the baby was about 2 weeks bigger and more developed but that after they had reached a due date that they don't change the due date. I got pregnant on the patch, but based on the size of the baby and my personal calculations I figure that my due date my be actually 2 weeks earlier. has anyone else dealt with a dr maybe being wrong on due dates?

mommatink83

Asked by mommatink83 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Of course they miscalculate often.

Answer by older at 12:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes my friend wound up having like 3 different due dates
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 12:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes it is.

I knew when I had sex when I got pregnant with my son, and knew my cycles so I KNEW he'd be born 2 weeks earlier on the full moon and he was
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• They're wrong all the time. The only way to be really sure of your dates is if you were charting and know when you ovulated.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• yes, it's ok. The farther along you get, ask them to be ready at 36 weeks. so if they normally do a labor talk at 34 weeks, ask for it at 32. they will NOT change the expected date once they figure it out, but you should be ready.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• unless you know exactly the day that you started your last menstrual cycle...then it's never going to be right on.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes it is. I was due Oct 8 I had my daughter Oct 2nd. I have a friend that had her daughter 2 weeks after her due date.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 12:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• it's only an estimate anyway. plan for the baby on the date you estimate, but dont be surprised if you go past what the dr gave you.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It is an estimate btw. Also my ob has always told me if the due dates vary by 2 weeks he goes with the ultrasound one because the growth and development is more visable.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 12:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My BIL and his wife we very good before they got married (as in no premarital sex, and NO I am not being naive). They got pregnant within two weeks of the wedding night. She had irregular periods, so her first appointment the doctors set her date of conception at three weeks before they got married. Yeah, that due date was a little off.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010