How did you explain a new baby to your 2 year old?

I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old, both my boys and I am 5 months pregnant with my first daughter and am just starting to show. My 7 year old understands what is happening as he has been a big brother before and he was 5 when his brother was born, my 2 year old acts like he understands sometimes but then you can see he doesn't. He loves to pat my stomach and feel the baby move. He even hugs my tummy and says 'hi baby' all excited, but then I catch him patting his tummy sometimes and just saying baby. he doesn't say hi baby or giggle or anything, but I am trying to help him understand maybe just a little better. I mean he feels his new sister moving in my tummy all the time which makes him giggle. How did you help your 2 year old to understand?

mommatink83

Asked by mommatink83 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is almost 3. I am due in December. We showed him the sonogram pictures and explained that this is a picture of the baby in mommy's belly... We let him talk to the baby and introduce himself to her. He says good night to her every night too... We told him that when it starts to snow it will be time for the baby to come out of mommy and come home to live with him... So far he likes the idea.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My cousin went through this, and they understand on their own level. Heck, her two daughters went around saying that EVERYONE had a baby in their tummy. Don't force it. It'll be okay. It's a learning process, and it sounds like your LO is learning just fine so far.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I showed her pictures of when I was pregnant with her and what I looked like. My daughter loved babies and so I would tell her mommy is having a baby in my tummy, she didn't undertand till my tumym was getting bigger and then after I had the baby and brought her home, she was not happy she was jealous.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• when i was pregnant i went to the store a found a barbie that was going to have a baby and her stomach opened up and a baby was in there and i showed how there was a baby in there
    loveseeyore26

Answer by loveseeyore26 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter was 22 months old when I had her baby sister and I explained it and left it at that unless she asked questions. I don't think she totally understood what was going to happen, but she knew there was a baby coming.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010