Do your kids clean thier rooms?

Am I the only one with this problem?
I have given up cleaning my kids rooms, because as soon as I do, It's trashed 20 min later.
I have put it on them now to clean up after themselves at least in thier rooms. They are 6 and 4. I have made a rewards chart to get them going, didn't work. THey'd just rather not do it, I have taken computer and video games away, they don't care. Any suggestions?

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hahahahaa...my son? CLEAN his OWN room? He' dsooner eat a basket of fried worms. That kid. GRRR. This is a never ending battle in our household. I have thrown my hands up in the air. Shut his door and allowed him to live in his mess! I've tried all kinds of different things. I'm just at an exhaustion point with it now (he's 10 yrs old btw). So, I guess I'm taking a break from the battle. BUT..he is NOT allowed to bring any of his toys OUT of his room..if he wants to play with them..he has to sit in his mess and play with them and he HATES that. I told him, well..clean your room then...then you will have space on your floor to romp and play with your stuff. His clothes...ick...I don't even want to think about it right now,lol.
    All I can say to you is..keep up th egood work and GOOD LUCK! Hope you fare better than I have this far! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i make them do it once a day, in the afternoon.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• DD has to have her room picked up every night before bed. The rest of the day, it doesn't matter what it looks like. The important thing is to have it clean so we can tuck her in at night.
    The way we got her to do it was to take away whatever was left out on the floor. Anything left on the floor (other than clothes) got sent to the Goodwill. She learned after a week that she wasn't getting them back and decided to pick up her room herself.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my SD is almost 4 and she is GREAT about cleaning her room and the living room. i am so thankful and proud when she shows responsibility.. we're such a busy family, so every little bit of help is apprecited!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• At the moment, they don't have to clean it cause it's my mess in there. But normally, yes, they do have to clean it up before bed.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• They shouldn't have a choice...the six year old understands what you expect of her and she should get grounded if she does not listen to you when you ask her to do a simple task like clean her room. The four year old maybe you can try to make it a fun game.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My 7y/o is anal about it - he has the cleanest room in the house. of course, the 2 and 1 y/os help out by doing things I tell them to do (put things in the trash, dishes in the sink, stack dishes when I'm unloading the dishwasher, etc) but they can't do their rooms on their own yet.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My youngest is 5 and I make him a list of what needs to be picked up. I usually start with what is the easiest to pick up and when he finishes it, he checks it off. Soon the checklist is complete and the room is clean. Most times kids see it as tooo overwhelming. When you break it down into a bunch of little steps then they see that it isn't as time consuming as they may think. Example...

Dirty Clothes in Hamper
    Hotwheels in bin
    Friends in Closet
    Books on Shelf
    Pillows on Bed
    Garbage in can
    Dust (swiffer fluffy)
    Sweep (swiffer swivel)

He happily checks each one off and in less then 15 minutes his room is clean. We have managed to do the entire house in less than an hour this way!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Julita cleans her room every day. Not doing it is not an option.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My 3 year old helps out. but can't do it all by her self. My 7 year old daughter cleans her own room. I help her out if other kids helped mess up the room, but mostly she does it her self. If not, she has no gameboy or tv till her room is clean. Its just that simple.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010