• In the Spotlight:

HOW DO I DEAL WITH THESE FLEAS?

WE HAVE 1 CAT & FLEAS UP THE YOU-KNOW- WHAT. WE'VE BOMBED 4 TIMES ,GIVEN OUR CAT A BATH I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES.THEY ARE A LITTLE BETTER BUT NOT BY MUCH.ANY SUGGESTIONS?

bvannkissy

Asked by bvannkissy at 12:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pets

• Make sure your cat is on a monthly treatment for fleas. This should be Frontline, Advantage..... a strong one, not the cheep stuff that doesn't work.

Take the cat to be professionaly bathed and given a flea dip.
    After the dip apply the monthly flee med (Frontline)
    While the cat is at the bath place... bomb the house again.

You are going to have to stay on top of this throughout the hot summer months and see how the rest of the year goes.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• There is actually a monthly pill you can give your animals now. My dog has been on it for about four months now and I truly love it. No more fleas!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• On top of the other suggestions: use flea powder once a day on your carpets when you vacuum. If you are getting them in your bathroom mop the floor with bleach, it kills fleas.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Well, the trick with fleas is to understand the life cycle. Nothing kills fleas in the cocoon (pupae) stage.

1) Use a topical meant for cats (note: some dog flea meds are TOXIC to cats!). Frontline Topspot, Advantage, etc.
    2) Vacuum all surfaces that you can in the home. This picks up eggs, larvae, pupae to some extent. Take vacuum bag out and put in outdoor trash else they'll just hatch out in your vaccuum.
    3) Using a product with insect growth regulator, spray all surfaces of the home. For anything you can't get under, at least hit the perimeter. This includes furniture, cloth curtains, etc. (spot test.)
    4) Wash bedding.

Repeat 2-4 once per week for at least 4 weeks. Note: Bombs only work in empty rooms because the fog falls on surfaces--doesn't go under things. You can use a bomb in an empty room. But you'd still have to do it weekly.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 12:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We went through this last year with our dog, You will have to get a good flea treatment, I recommend the monthly pills also, because my dog had a bad reaction to the frontline drops. As for the house, I recommend having a professional like terminex or orkin come in and spray. We tried store bought flea bombs and even though it thinned them out it did not get rid of them completely.
    Good Luck, I know once you get fleas it is very hard and expensive to get rid of them.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• we wasted a ton of $$ on treatments from the store and should have just paid the exterminator from the beginning and save the money
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• if you take your kitty cat to a vet there i a medication they can give you for about 15 dollars, its a pill and kills any flea that gets on the kitty cat within minutes, it lasts for one month but is amazing!!! you can also use brewers yeast or garlic up until you can get the medication, this deters fleas, but does not kill them. as far as your house is concerned you cant get rid of them until the cat has absolutely no more on him, if he goes outside he will continue to bring them in, to help with the issue until then, place a little lemon dawn with water on a plate on the floor ( carpet of course.) this attracts near by fleas and kills them. then you can bomb the house to kill them when the kitty is good. you can also buy a treatment for your yard that kills the fleas on your property
    Laura_Cruz

Answer by Laura_Cruz at 12:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree with vet and exterminator :)
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 1:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I copied all of these & sent them to my brother since he's dealing with thi!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I respectfully disagree with anyone here who thinks that you can get rid of fleas in one treatment by an exterminator. Just. Not. Possible. there is no chemical that kills fleas in the pupae stage. Period. End of story. Google it. You have to do repeated treatments weekly to rid your home.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 8:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010