cleaning

how do some of you get ur kids to clean up thier own stuff without them throwing a fit or do they throw a fit?

momof4onesApup

Asked by momof4onesApup at 12:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son is 7 he likes being a helper. but we allow him to keep his room pretty much as he sees fit.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My almost 3 year old throws a fit, but it doesn't matter.. she still picks up her toys. We sing the "clean up" song and that helps some. My 7 year old just picks up her toys when asked and doesn't throw a fit.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 12:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We sing the Clean up song, and he sings and cleans. Also, if he wants something, we tell him he can't have it until he helps us clean up.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Let them watch How Clean is Your House. My son is pretty good about cleaning but sometimes he decides that cleaning isn't exactly necessary. When he does that I say "What do you suppose will happen if we don't clean the house?" We watch an episode on youtube (look for episodes posted by RIPLeuchtenberg, best quality) and talk about how our house would look like that if we never cleaned. It always makes him jump up and clean and it has the same effect on me. I always find myself in the kitchen scrubbing something after watching that show!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We started giving our son an "allowance" about two weeks ago. He has a list of tasks he needs to accomplish every day, and for each one that he completes satisfactorily, he gets three buttons. If he does it without being told, he gets an extra button, but so far, that hasn't happened. At the end of the week, we count up the buttons, and he gets a nickel for every ten buttons. So far, all we've had to do is remind him that he gets his buttons if he does what he's supposed to.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh, I forgot to mention...he's 3.5
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• We have started a helping hand chart here. We have little hands we velcro on the chart. After 5 (they earn one a day) they get to go to the dollar store and get a prize(s). It doesn't work 100%, but it has helped a good bit in getting them to keep up their own messes!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i tell her if they are not picked up in a certen time frame i take them away and don't give them back that 99.9% of the time gets her.
    pooh2you

Answer by pooh2you at 8:12 AM on Jul. 20, 2010