• In the Spotlight:

Please exuse my ignorance here... But, do Orthodox Jews believe in Hell?

I've heard both sides of the argument from the Christians. But I'm not as highly educated on Orthodox Jews as I would like to be, and seeing how the majority of Christian beliefs were at least based in the Jewish religion I was wondering what the belief is here...

Thanks!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, no we don't. We believe in "gehinom", which is a state where a soul gets "cleansed" before being allowed in the World to Come. But it's a temporary state, not lasting longer than 11 months (that's why we say "kaddish" for our loved ones for a year). Gehinom "cleanses" the stains occuring from transgressions between man and G-d- like not observing the Shabbath of keeping kosher, for example. But if the soul also has "debts" with other souls, people we hurt in this life, the we reincarnate to try to make it right.
    But we do not believe in an eternal Hell of suffering. It really goes against our whole conept of what life is about, which it to learn, to grow apiritualy and to atone for those transgressions we've made. Any one-chance.and.you're-out scenarion goes not only against that, but also against the concept of a loving, caring and forgiving G-d.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Ok I am ignorant on this too but I saw on Law and Order once when someone tolld this guy to go to hell and he said "I'm Jewish ma'am There isn't any Hell." sooooo maybe that means no they dont?
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• from comments I have seen people make- I don't think they do...but I could be wrong
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• That has always been my assumption, but I wasn't sure... We were raised to believe there is no mention of Hell in the bible, which I have researched - and it's correct - BUT, that too was a large part of the reason I wondered... If the Jews didn't believe in Hell, why would Christians though? Hmm...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I know we have a few here, but don't remember their names...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I understand that... But that makes no sense either... And not all Christians believe those things either. Being I was raised Christian and always told that stuff wasn't true, which is why I'm looking for the beliefs of the Jews, because that was the root of the basic beliefs of the Christian movement... And I'll just comparing the two...

I'm neither, so it really doesn't matter - just more of an educational moment!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had a Jewish co-worker once who did not believe in Hell, but he was not Orthodox and told me that he really didn't practice his religion. I don't know, but I will watch the answers to see if somebody else does.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010