Potty Training

My son does great at home, and tells us that he has to use the toilet. Wears underwear all day without accidents. But then goes to daycare, and has accidents. Whats going on? He tells us he has to use the bathroom, but doesn't tell daycare. I am so confused, because he does so great at home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he is getting too wrapped up in playing or whatever at daycare and forgetting to go, my son sometimes does that. Or he waits too long and doesn't make it to the bathroom. I would make sure the teachers are regularly asking him if he needs to go.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• daycare may not being paying the appropriate attention that potty training a young child needs. I would talk to the caregivers and see if things change
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Maybe he is uncomfortable telling the people at daycare. Or maybe he is embarrassed to tell them in front of the other children.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Is your son very vocal? Or is he shy? My boys (3 and 4) were having accidents at church and when we visited people. I have learned to immediately take them to the bathroom when we get somewhere-just to show them where it is. When I leave my kids with someone (they are not in daycare so that is rare) I always show them how to get to the bathroom, tell them to go when they need to, and also take them to the person in charge and say, "If you need to go potty, or you need help going potty, Mrs. so and so will help you. You need to tell her." As long as I do that we have no accidents.

I have no idea if that will help your son at all, but if he is quieter around other people that may be his problem.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010