If I get a root canal can the tooth still get infected?

My tooth is missing a big chunk and keeps getting infected, my dentist said we can remove it, or do a root canal and save the tooth, I came home to think about it, i really dont want to loose a tooth, but i cant handle keep getting infections, can a tooth that has no root, still get infected?

Laura_Cruz

Asked by Laura_Cruz at 1:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Health

• they kill the root before doing the root canal. once that is done they will seal it up or cap it and you are good to go. no more infrections
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Hubby just had a root canal done to save his tooth and he feels soooo much better. You might want to ask your dentist but from what I gather since the root will be gone they fill the tooth, and then the chances of getting infected again are slim to none... But like I said before, ask your Dentist. If you don't save your tooth it can alter your bite and cause more problems in the future. GL, Hope you feel better soon!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The live part of the tooth is what is removed during a root canal. Therefore, the tooth can no longer become infected and painful--the nerve is removed along with the pulp. That said, you cannot leave a RC'd tooth unprotected. It requires a crown as once the tooth is "dead" it is more brittle. The upside to saving a tooth using restorative measures is that you do not have shifting of the teeth next to it and opposing it. If you have the tooth extracted, you should consider a bridge. If the finances are what is holding you back, check out care credit.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 1:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• As long as they get it all (root and pulp) then you cannot. I had one where they thought they got it all but it got infected again. We had to go back in and redo it. It is always better to get a root canal if you can afford it.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had a tooth that required a root canal in 2005. A few years later it abscessed and I ended up getting the tooth pulled. The other option was an apicoectomy, which because the dentist who did the root canal did not put a crown on the tooth, had a small success rate. That navy dentist put a filling over the tooth so no wonder it abscessed. I ended up getting the tooth pulled a few years late when I went in for a different complaint and the abscess was discovered. It was a molar and now I have a bridge. I can't even tell the difference.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• As a former dental assistant I would choose the root canal and keep the tooth. Here is what they do for a root canal-- they remove the nerve and pulp from the tooth, clean it out and then fill it. Then once that is done, they put in a post, build up the tooth and then put a crown on it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:06 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• While the tooth can't get infected the gums around it can
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010