How do you feel about your child learning to drive?

MzFireKatt

Asked by MzFireKatt at 1:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It is part of developing your independence, and it is also nerve wrecking! Just make sure you teach him all the possible dangers out there and to deal with the "other guy" defensive driving is a must. Make sure you stress the importance of not getting in a car with a person who has been drinking of using any kind of impairing drug, tell them to call if they ever feel the need to be picked up for any reason, good luck mom, I do not envy you!

Answer by older at 8:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I can't wait til my kids are old enough to drive. If and when they are ready, I will be more than happy to teach them so I can stop playing taxi...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• HA my youngest will not be getting driving lessons til he graduates high school
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My own son is 10..so we have a bit of ways off...so I try to block the image from my mind, LOL. I'm not ready for that kind of heart failure yet!!
    My step son started driving last year..and I get a little worried about him when I know he's taking a hiughway to go somewhere. My step daughter will be getting her temps in a few months...yeah..thats worrisome too!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My oldest just finished the online course and got the certificate. After performances are over ( He is in The Music Man this summer) then he will go take the written test then we will enroll him in driving school to learn to drive. His grandfather will pay for it thank God.
    How do I feel... lets just say I have a knot in stomach just thinking about it! He is my FIRST born!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't think I get any say in it actually! He's only 4 but already desperate to drive and my hubby is so looking forward to teaching him. If I tried to put a stop to him learning I'd probably find myself swimming with the fishes or at least being ignored and/or scowled at for a couple of weeks. I imagine I'll be nervous when it comes down to it but more because there are so many crappy drivers out there than because of his own driving. Our state test is wicked easy (I know one guy who had to do 4 right turns around the parking lot and back to the RMV) but he won't be taking the test until he can drive to our standard.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Terrified. DD is 17. She's been driving since she was 15 so I thought I was getting better - until she had her first accident last week - now I'm back to terrified. Don't know if I will ever recover because DS gets his permit soon.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 1:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I've told my daughter that learning to drive isn't based on a date on the calendar, but on a level of maturity she displays. When she shows she's mature enough to handle getting behind the wheel and take it seriously, then I'll teach her. (She's 13 now).
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I was really nervous until he finally turned 15 and got his learners permit. I feel much better knowing he passed the drivers exam with 100% and then he took his driving course this summer and also got a 100% (the only one in t, he class). I've driven with him a few times and he does well. So I guess now I'm feeling better and somewhat excited I don't have to worry about finding people to get him places while I'm at work.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have two that just finished the class portion of drivers ed. We went last Saturday to get their temps...Lord help us all lol!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010