For you that track your BBT (Basel body temperature)

I am thinking about trying this but had a question first. I have had one of my tubes removed due to an ectopic pregnancy. So when my right ovary releases a mature egg it will just get reabsorbed (according to my doctors office). But by following body temp it will only tell me when I'm ovulating but if it happens to be on my right side it wont help anyways will it (the body temp only indicates "if,when" you ovulate but for me that's not really the determining factor is it? So is this even beneficial for me to do? Thanks ladies!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 1:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Even if you don't know on which side you ovulate during each cycle, you'd still be able to know that you are ovulating, like you said. That's better than not knowing at all, in my opinion. Most women's bodies alternate which side releases the egg each cycle, maybe not 50/50, but if you know that you are ovulating at least, then you can adjust your expectations accordingly -- expect a possible 6-8 months to get pregnant instead of the usual 3-4.

Something else to consider is that charting BBT only tells you that you've ovulated after the fact, which is still very useful information, but it does nothing for telling you when is the best time to conceive; if you're looking for ways to tell when you're fertile, you should chart your cervical mucus as well.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Even if the egg does not make it to the uterus, you are still ovulating and your body temp will still reflect that. Ovulation is when the egg is released. You are still releasing the egg, it just isn't going very far.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I totally agree with the CM mucus changes.....hopefully it is as obvious for you as it is for me. It is very obvious when my CM is the egg white, stretchy consistency (very fertile!) Hope your observation of this is very helpful to you in trying to conceive.
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 5:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010