Anyone else have a child moving out on their own for the first time?

My oldest is moving into her own place soon. Any suggestions/advice on how to help mom,dad,& siblings adjust to the sitiuation?

cowboywife

Asked by cowboywife at 1:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Check out this group on here, someone in there maybe able to help you better.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/101187?ct=search_top

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• What an exciting time in their life, to spread their wings. I would suggest just to keep in touch as much as you can and let him/her aware that your house is always a welcome site for him/her, and that you will always be there in case of emergencies. The adjustment will be tough but in the long run is best for everyone involved.

Answer by older at 8:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We have one twin getting married next weekend and the other is actively looking for a job in his career of choice - law enforcement.

I think it is extremely exciting. We have laid down the law though. They can move out, they can visit, they can depend on us for emergencies, but visits must preceded by a phone call. Emergencies cannot include having to be bailed out because of money mismanagement or drug use or even bailed out of jail.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, my DD19 moved to San Franciso for the summer. She will be gone for 3 months. She saved up her money from a job to pay for her rent, car payment and car insurance. I am very proud of her. She is having fun and staying out of trouble. I try and call her every three days, usually after the weekend to make sure she is okay. LOL. She has called me a few times when she needed advice. I say give them some space and let them enjoy their new found freedom but be there for them when they need you.
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Stay in touch, let them spread their wings, and let them learn on their own. Let them share with you things they've learned about living on their own. Be excited for this phase of their lives!

Write postcards, even if you live in the same city. It's always fun to get mail.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 10:53 PM on Jul. 23, 2010

• My 3 all moved at, not all at once. With my girls I told each I don't want the other to be coming telling me the other's afffairs unless their being treated badly. I would help them any I could if they asked, but not pay their bills. I did tell each 1 they could move home ONCE
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• oops didn't finish. but cldn't move back & forth. My son was different, he was quiet and he never let us know any of his business anyway. They have to learn on their own just as we all do.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2010