Landlord wont stay out of backyard

Okay so this is a weird situation. So we are living in a decent 3 bedroom older home and paying $400 a month..how so? Because the landlord lives next door and is my fiances grandmother. She owns our house and her house next dor. She rents our house out to family members who need cheap rent.Dont get me wrong, its great only paying $400 a month plus utilities. We can live here as long as we want which we plan to move maybe in 5 years maybe a little less -when we buy our first home.For now though, The problem is since grandma lives next door she comes over alot. Well The backyard we have is really really bad. There are two sheds, one is the normal shed for garden tools, the other looks like a mini mobile home, falling down, infested with black windows and other stuff i am sure.. the back yard is big but all rocks and one big tree. she comes over now and waters the big tree using our water we pay for how handle it?

djanowski775

Asked by djanowski775 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would talk to her about it and come up with a solution. I would want to use the garden especially if I had a child. Also I would ask her if she could let you know if she is going to have people come in and work on the garden because you get scared that their are strangers in your garden.
    t
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 1:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• you pay $400 for rent. seriously, just get the heck over it
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• If she wants to have people come pull weeds, that is still HER property. If you're not using the back yard, just leave it alone. Pick your battles. This may end up uglier than planned otherwise. JMO!
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Why don't you want her to water the tree?
    Mena929

Answer by Mena929 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I am adding more--- so she uses our water to water the big tree that is not even dying and complains about the back yard has weeds.. well we would love to put just a small patch of grass for our son and dogs to run around on but she wont let us and so we decide not to use the backyard. the shed is so bad i wont let my son out back because of it... she wont get rid of it and it just sucks..how do you go about it? sometiems she sends random workers to pull weeds in the backyard but no one uses it or sees it so why?
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't think I would be bothered by it, especially considering the situation.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Ask her to stop? Honestly though... $400 for a 3br.. I'd let her water until her little heart is content though... LOL
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I'm not sure how you would handle it other than telling her that she doesnt have to worry about it..that you'll take care of it for her. But, If it wer me..and she was my grandma..I don't think I would mind her doing that. I mean..if she was to like just walk in my house all the time..that would be different..but shes just coming over to tend to the yard a little bit,right?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• its not i dont want her to water the tree. there is no need the tree isnt dead and gets water naturally..its the fact she is basically tresspassing and using our resources that we pay for to do what she wants... its a pain to look out our windows and see his grandma or some strange guy in our back yard
    djanowski775

Comment by djanowski775 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• honestly i would not be complaining! for real! water isnt that much unless she's just running it all day & night! is it bothering you just because you don't want her over in the backyard or what? seriously, she is not just your landlord she is family so i would just get over it & get along for the family's sake!
    seoulmom

Answer by seoulmom at 1:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010