Anyone having trouble dealing with their kids growing up too fast?

One son is a senior in high school and the other is a freshman in high school. I am not dealing with the reality very good. Any suggestions?

gusandboyes

Asked by gusandboyes at 1:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I do.
    It seems like when I was younger, time just drug on.
    Now it's shooting right past me, I want it to slooooooooooow dooooooooooown.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh my goodness, my kids are only 4 1/2, 3 and 4 months but they are growing right in front of my eyes! Every time I blink another year has passed by! I almost cry sometimes when they say those cute little things because I know it won't be long and they won't be saying and doing these things any longer. My oldest already has outgrown so many things. :(

I have no advice on how to cope because I'm going through it also already.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes. I'm truly struggling with it. I'm 33 and my oldest is going into 7th grade. At our church/school, that means they join the Youth Group. There's a TON more stuff for them to be involved in, and I'm just not ready for her to say "I'm going with the teens". My other two are 11 (well, almost, she'll be 11 in September) and 7. I just don't have ANY babies anymore....sometimes I feel un-needed. I NEVER complained about breastfeeding/bottles or diapers, that stuff never bothered me. I was born to be a wife and a mom, and miss having little ones running around! I am honestly dreading the day that they'll all be "grown up"! I didn't have kids to have them leave...I want them to stay 2 for life!!!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 1:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I have a very hard time with this, partly because I gave up a child for adoption when I was 18 and I often dream of my children being taken away or kidnapped. Its a horrible feeling to see them slipping away for me. My oldest will be a sophmore and youngest is going into 6th grade. It is really hard, I have been counseling for 3 years and it started with just this same thing, scared I was loosing my children. I have learned to spend as much as time as possible to ensure our relationships stay solid so when they leave my home we will still be close in heart even if we are far apart by distance. I have also started to find things I can do for myself like read, cook new recipes, exercise, take the dogs for a walk, I'm planning to learn to scrapbook as well. The best thing you can do is start to look for things you can do on your own that make you happy, this way you'll be prepared for them leaving.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Suggestion: Try to be more in their life. Show them that you care and you want to be apart of them. Although they are growing up it doesn't mean you will be out of their life once they are out of highschool. I got even closer with my mom when I finished High School just because she was my best friend who never left my side. So show your kids that you are willing to be active in their social life and always encourage them eat "family dinners" or watch "family movies". :)
    Miszross

Answer by Miszross at 2:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Before today I would have said no but my 19yo just left today for Army basic training and I am NOT having a good night. He is the 3rd of 4 and he and his 18yo brother just graduated in May. I didn't get this emotional when his oldest brother (who is almost 24) left for basic training 5 years ago or this emotional when his 22yo brother left for TX 2 1/2 years ago. I don't know why this is so different. I have to go through his room to get to my and hubby's room and walking through it has set me in tears twice today. My youngest leaves for college on the 14th of Aug. and I am sure that will hit me too. I talk to my older sons as often as possible and I know that my 19yo son will write while in basic and will call as much as he can &7 that my youngest will call often, we are a closee family, but I am not sure when all 4 of my little boys turned in to 4 grown men. It happened faster than a blink, I swear.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• YES !!!!!! gusandboys, i do

GIRLS, are all drama, and some are just plain abusive !

The ones who are not are sluts.

Good grief.

YES, I have a son....

DRESS, Your daughters decently .....

Teens are HUMAN !!!
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• umm SissyAnn I DID NOT mean to vote your answer up!!! I have 3 boys 12 and up and they are taught no one but themselves are responsible for their thoughts ,words and deeds.Rather than look for someone else to blame teach your son only he is responsible for his behavior.I do have a daughter and she fits none of your description of girls.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My youngest son will turn 23 tomorrow and I was just talking with hubby that I can still see him as a toddler with blond hair and a happy face, where does time go? it just flies by in a blink of an eye, but the cycle of life continues and you will enter a new and unknown stage that will bring other challenges to keep you busy. Embrace it, the time right before they spread their wings is so important to prepare them for the world , make sure they know that family will always be there for support.

Answer by older at 8:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My oldest dd will be a senior in high school this year, and the thought of her going away to college is soooo hard for me. I want her to grow and become this wonderful person, but I want her to do it from here!!! Although some days I can't wait for her to go! It is all part of growing up, I hope to spend as much time as I can this year with her and continue to build our relationship. Maybe then it won't be so hard. And she will want to come home!!!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010