I need to figure out a "job" when my daughter starts school in 1 year... Do I choose something I love, like Photography or go with something more practical (like an office job)? How do I even begin to plan this out? Help!?... Please..

The problem is Photography is a very competitive field, the market is flooded with Photographers, Not all photographers actually make money... It's kind of like being an actor in LA.... Who isn't... But again, not all Actors actually get paid to do what they love, and quite possibly what they deserve to be paid.. I know with the Job Market the way it is, who knows If I would even be hired for a desk job. But I need to start thinking about it now, so I can start preparing for the change, either way.. If anyone has any Advice, I would LOVE to hear it. Thanks

SDMommy2

Asked by SDMommy2 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Money & Work

• Maybe you could do both. You could get a practical job that you can tolerate (or even like) where you are guaranteed a paycheck. You could also pursue your talent at photography and sell your pictures at art shows. You'd be surprised at how well you can do. I made a living for about five years selling my handmade jewelry in an artists' market.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Do you HAVE to work? If not, do something you love!!! Other than needing the money, I'll never understand why someone would chose to spend their lives working for a job they hate.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• That's a hard question... Financially, we are extremely fortunate that my husband is able to support us on his own. However, through out the years I have taken on side work to make a few extra dollars, and my husband has been supportive with having me mainly being a stay-at-home mom. It's just that I know how much he hates his job and how much he would love to take a few classes to change his job. So do I go out on a limb and try Photography? (Can I really support a family doing what I LOVE? I know it's possible, and believe me I REALLY want to make it. Or do I try and find something else?) Your spot on about, why would someone choose a job that they hate, but if it's for the good of the family, do you do it? :?
    SDMommy2

Comment by SDMommy2 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would definitely do both. Get at 9-5 job and do photography on the weekends. The person who did my engagement and wedding does both and it seems to be working well for him.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 2:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You can do both. You also have a year to start working on building a photography business to see how it's going to work out for you. I think you should do something you love, if possible.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Wow! Thank you for all the advice. That's a great idea, trying out both. I Especially like the idea of working at the artists' markets...
    Lamgr8teful - Do you mind me asking why you stopped selling at the artists' markets? Did you get tired of it?
    One of the main reasons I am worried about doing both is: I worry that if I work a 9-5 work week, then take on the weekends, I am leaving no time for my kids/Husband. That is why I have been a stay-at-home mom for so long. So I get as much time with them as possible.
    This is why I am starting a year in advance... :)
    SDMommy2

Comment by SDMommy2 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Let's start with your skills and experience...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Skills and Experience... All of my experience is basically in Real Estate, with the exception of some volunteer work for the local H.S. that I did as an Assistant Softball coach for two years. Work wise, I have worked for a # of years doing loan processing, then when our company lost it's Escrow team, I had to fill in working for the Escrow department which lasted for about a year. I have had my notary license for over 6 years, and even began getting my Appraisers License (I took all the courses and even started logging hours with an Appraiser- which lasted about two years- until I was pregnant with my 2nd). I have done Real Estate Transaction Coordinating work, and part time for about a year, I even did some Accounting/ collections work for a Landscape Warehouse. Short list of skills include listening to others, teaching/instructing/training individuals, organizing files, putting creative ideas to action. Any advice?
    SDMommy2

Comment by SDMommy2 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• you can work at the school so you have the same days off as she does. you could teach photography that way yo can still get paid for doing what you love. You can take pictures and do art and craft shows and sell them there
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Thank you all for all the wonderful advice. I recently took photos for someones wedding back in May and just received an email from the wedding coordinator asking to use my photos on her website, in return she will promote my photography online as well as through her company.. :) So my plan is to persue Photography this year. My goal is to not have to implement my back-up plan and to be successful doing what I love :)
    Again, Thank you to everyone that took the opportunity to help me with this dilemma in my life.
    SDMommy2

Comment by SDMommy2 (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2010