How do I get my 6yo interested in reading?

My daughter will be going into first grade this year. She learned all of the basics in Pre-K and Kg, but she has no interest in reading at home. When we read books at bedtime, she doesn't want to participate, she just wants me to read to her. But very rarely, she will help me read the books, and she feels so proud of herself. When I was in elementary school, I was a very slow reader. It was embarassing for me to struggle through the words when it was time to read aloud in class. I don't want her to have to experience that. Any ideas on how to catch her interest or make it fun for her?

mama2br00ke

Asked by mama2br00ke at 1:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• #1 find books about things she is interested in
    #2 make her, her own comic books, She can help. take 1 pc of poster board fold it in half, so the havles become the same size as your newpaper. Punch 3 holes into each pc of poster board, like a notebook. Then get the sunday comics punch holes in the side, again like a notebook. Get some ribbon, make it long (12 inches or so) that way you can keep adding sunday comics to your new comic book. let her decorate the outside of her comic book. ta da instant comic book & since comics are short they are easy to read less frustrating & fun to read over & over. I learned to love reading with comics & comic books. They really helped me learn a lot of new words
    #3 have her take pictures of anything & write a story based on that picture. it could be a pic of a tree that is magical, or a rock that saw Lincoln give the gettyburg address you get the idea
    #4 give her a journal to write in
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter loves to read and shes also 6.. Does she pick the books? Maybe treat her like reading places do for kids.. for every book she reads to u give her a sticker and once she gets to 10 she gets a special prize
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Take her to your local library.
    At mine there is a section for first-time readers.
    Have her pick out her books, I think that could work!
    Good Luck!
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Let her see you sitting down and reading a book. Continue to read to her. Let her know that her favorite movies were books before they became movies. Get her a mild Comic book. There is less reading and she can feel like she is reading a "big persons" book and not some baby book. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Let her see you reading silently to yourself and buy her books on subjects she's interested in. Take turns reading aloud - she reads one page and you read the next.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Are there activities at your local library? Story hours too? Have you visited a big bookstore and looked at some of the interactive books? Do you have any friends who are teachers to ask their opinion? Can you talk to who she will have for a teacher yet? The best thing to do for a child is to read to them. No pressure and just let them enjoy. They will start to ask about words in the story and it should be a natural progression. Be careful to not let your uncomfortable feelings about how is was when you were little get projected onto her. Best wishes.
    Anonymous

• There are different ways to take on a challenge of this type. I have done it very successfully.There are several ways you can do it too.
    Start off with easy books that don't have a lot of pages and have many pictures. Some kids are turned off by large books. My kids were like that at one point. Otherwise if she doesn't like reading the words, there is audio books so you can listen to your favorite stories. Once she sees hoe interesting a story can be, she might even be open to trying some really good books in her grade level. There are plenty of genres to choose from in the children's section of the library. You can motivate by helping her find a book she will want to look through there and then tak e it out. Otherwise, I've started by reading a little of the book to get my child interested enough to continue to want to read the rest of the book out of sheer curiosity of how it will end.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Don't force her to read. Keep story time fun. Encourage her to talk to you about the story rather than making her read aloud. Ask her questions about each page and encourage her to ask you questions. Don't just read at bed time. Read in the afternoons or during down time as well. Also, let her see you reading a book for yourself. When children see their parents reading it shows them that it's a valuable past time. Parents who read for themselves have children who grow up to love reading.

Most importantly, just because she has learned how to read for herself, doesn't mean that you shouldn't read to her anymore. Listening to a story is just as important as reading it with your own eyes and develops a whole different set of cognitive skills.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Go to puppet showsin your community, hang out at the library, let her see you reading. Read the newspaper and discuss a few articles at dinner with your family at the table (age appropriate of course), let her see you relaxing with a good book. Continue to read before bed as a family. I would read an exciting book with lots of chapters for the entire family to listen to - including your husband reading. For us it is the original version of Pinoccio and my husband and I take turns each night reading a few chapters. It is nothing like the movie. Read a book and compare the movie. Don't put too much pressure on her. A home that has lots of books available and parents who read a lot is a good indicator of how far a child will go in their education and if they pick up books later in life. Your child needs to see you doing and the rest will follow.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I read to my now 8 year old from the time he was in the womb, Now I have to tell him to go to sleep because he sneaking the flashlight under the covers LOL
    DessC

Answer by DessC at 9:49 AM on Jul. 20, 2010