should i start my 11 year old sister on the pill?

she ives with me. shes only had i think 3 periods(shes on her third now) and she has bad cramps, and mild acne. and i know that birth control help regulate your period, clear up your skin, and help cramps. she is like my own daughter and i hate seeing her in pain. i was 18 when i started because i had a baby when i was 17. (i 19 now) what should i do?

missjamie100

Asked by missjamie100 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Take her to see a doctor and see what they think. How bad are these cramps? Do they make her vomit, etc.?
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• talk to her doctor.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• the type she would take would actually be different strength from real birth control. i would say take her in to consult a gynecologist on what is going on . if the pill will help her then i say go for it
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• id Talk to her doc!!! good luck!
    oregonduck

Answer by oregonduck at 1:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't think I would do it at age 11. The pill causes your boobs to grow, can make you fatter, and more hormonal as well. I would look into more natural ways at this point, including reducing stress. I know how hard it can be, I had extremely painful periods as a teen and is one reason why I did choose hormonal birth control now, even though I am mostly against it.
    Some things to try:
    Always let her stay home from school.
    hot compresses on her lower abdomin and/or lower back
    800mg Ibuprophen every 4 hours as the pain persists. I think the recommendation now is to alternate with Tylenol, but please check with a pharmasist. (usually I had to take it the second I suspected I was going to start in order to avoid HORRIBLE pain, otherwise, it was bearable. If I was even a half hour later, it would not work as well).
    Pleanty of calcium intake. I also found that if I took prenatals about a week before, it would help a lot.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would not put her on the pill at age 11. I would take her to the Doctor and get their opinion.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 2:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would just wait a while. My daughter's first periods were really bad, but they leveled off after a few months. I remember experiencing the same thing when I was very young. I think once her hormonal levels balance out, she will probably not have so much trouble as she is having now. Even if she doesn't get better, I would try some of the natural remedies before considering putting her on the pill. That stuff really does help and it's not harmful to the body.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i wouldnt put her own the pill just because shes having bad cramps im quite sure theres something else that'll work i understand your concern just take her to see doctor good luck
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 2:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would not do it. You should read the package insert that tells all of the health risks with the pill. It's teeny tiny print and will take a while, but it is important. I've known two women who have had blood clots after being on the pill for years, and one of them died from it. The pill can mess up your reproductive system permanently so it never recovers. I would take her to a doctor and give her Advil, making sure that she does not exceed the safe amount.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would take her to the doctor. I was put on birth control at age 12 because I needed my periods to be regulated. They were extremely painful and irregular. At one point of time they came twice a month and lasted for a full week.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010