Booster seat/car seat question

My son is 2 and is 35 pounds. What do we do when he outgrows the harness on his car seat that I am going to buy later today? It only goes to 40 pounds but he won't be 4 when he reaches 40 pounds. I can't afford a seat with a higher weight limit than that, they are all to expensive!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• the evenflo generations 65 harnesses to 65 lbs and is under $100
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would suggest getting a seat that harnesses higher then 40 lbs to be honest. I know you say you can't afford it. Listen, I can't afford things like that either, but for my kids safety, as a parent, I do without things in order to be able to provide what they need to be safe. What seat are you planning on purchasing today, and what is the max you can spend today? If you must, just get a Scenera today (very inexpensive) and start putting a few dollars aside each day/week until you are able to afford a HWH.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Also, cops, firefighters, ect, are NOT all trained in car seats. Some may be, but most aren't. Asking a cop if he thinks your kid is safe is pointless IMO.
    Krysta622

• I paid $81 for the My Ride 65, which is a great seat. Of course that was a sale. Look around online. Find a deal.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• At age 2..if you put your child in a booster seat or anything but a 5pt harness carseat, and you wreck, your child will be injured or worse. And chances are, you could get in trouble for child negligence.or worse.Both my kids needed new seats at the same time. To get good seats, I had to come up with $300. We ate lots of Ramen. You can do it if you try. The Graco Nautilus has a 65lb harness. It is $150.Sounds expensive right? But have you priced a funeral? And make sure the seat you buy has a harness that goes over 40lbs. Lots of seats advertise that they go up to 80-100lbs, but that is only in booster mode. Not the harness.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You have 2 options...opt for the $50 seat at Walmart/Target that go up to 60-80 lbs and proctect him or pay $25 for a booster and he won't be safe.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Look around and see if there are any adjusters to make the harness bigger, so he can wear it past 40 lbs. I don't know if they actually exist, but it's worth a shot.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• What seat is that Jademom07? If you can show me one that goes that hight that costs less than $200 I will gladly buy it!
    LisamomofJames

Answer by LisamomofJames at 2:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=safety+first+seat+belt+adjuster&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9168898838075631145&ei=OJZETIHYBITGlQez84igDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCYQ8wIwAA#
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• ok..ya gotta copy and paste that link...but thats what I mean.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2010