When should I get my son is first pair of actual walking shoes? Is my mom right?

My son is almost 10 months old, and pulls himself to a stand, but doesn't walk yet. My mom keeps insisting and insisting that I need to buy him a custom-fit pair of walking shoes now. Do I get them before he can walk? She says he needs the ankle support. The thing is, I have a feeling if I buy them now, I'll soon be buying another pair when he starts walking...his feet grow fast, lol. What do you think?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 2:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I thought that it was recommended that children learn to walk without shoes first. Shoes often make them feel funny and normally they just play with them til they come off! I say to wait. Your son will walk eventually. My 1st dd started walking at 11 months, barefoot, and my 2nd dd started walking at 10 months, also barefoot. Neither like to wear shoes that often and neither have had a problem walking without them. GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Personally, I think babies learn to walk just fine with their bare feet, and don't need walking shoes until they are walking around outside. Just my opinion, though.
    laurelsmama

Answer by laurelsmama at 2:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I read and was told by the Pediatrician that the best way to learn to walk is barefoot.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It is better if they learn how to walk barefoot first.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 2:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Never ever do they need those rigid hard "walking" shoes. They need barefeet unless they are running outside.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Mom's advice is dated. They learn better barefoot.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I'm going to agree with most everyone else. Barefoot is best! While learning to walk your baby is stretching and building all the muscles in his feet, and if you put a rigid shoe on he won't be able to do that nearly as well as he can without shoes. If you have to put him in shoes for any reason be sure they are soft and flexible.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Save your money until he starts walking. Babies don't need to wear shoes until they are walking, it's actually better for their feet to NOT have shoes on. You could try the Robeez brand since they are soft and comfortable for them.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Right Laurelsmama, I should have added unless they are walking around outside and need protection.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't think he needs them until he is walking outside or places where it might not be sanitary to walk barefoot. Even then, the little soft LifeStrides work great. Whatever you get, just make sure his toes have plenty of room.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010