breastfeeding my 2 week old... clogged milk duct. OUCH!!!!!!

how do i fix it asap??????? i have tried pumping, hot wet rag, massaging... it wont stop hurting

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try different positions when nursing. If you do, babies mouth will drain different ducts. I always alternated between cross hold, laying down, and football hold.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• When I had that my husband had to rub that spot while I was pumping. It hurt so, bad.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think cabbage leaves dry milk supply. I would check before trying that. I had dh suck to relieve the pain when dd wasn't nursing.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 5:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had to fill up a big mixing bowl of hot water on a couple ocassions and soak my boob in it. Then nurse or pump and massage. It sucked. Once it came out it was then bleeding. The joys. Good luck!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I got mine on day #4 of breastfeeding, I happened to have an appt with the lactation nurse at the hospital and she helped massage it out while I fed my son - used the pointer and middle finger and back and forth for like 30 minutes.. ugh.. it hurt so bad
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• they say cabbage leaves but I never tried it. It sucks but it will get better. Hope you feel better soon. Also what another mom said try switching positions and that should help.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had one of those when my youngest son was about a week old. It hurt like the dickens!! I called the hospital nursery because it was on a Sunday morning, and the nurse told me to massage it while I was nursing, and put warm compresses on it. By later that day, it had worked itself out. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow, you need to call your doctor because the last thing you want is mastitis. Good luck, I hope you feel better!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Try to apply heat before nursing, and try to nurse with the baby's chin pointing in the direction of the clog. Call an IBCLC or LLL leader for more hands on help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Apply heat JUST BEFORE nursing, and during nursing. As soon as you're done USE COLD. The cold will help the swelling. Make sure you're not over or under pumping.
    A massage in the shower and pumping right after always helped me. Good luck mama!
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 4:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2010