What are some natural ways to help with depression besides exercise?

I've been unusually depressed and moody for about a month, and I am normally not like this at all. There have been a lot of things going on in my personal life, a lot of it incredibly stressful, and I know that has just added to my being depressed. I know once the stress lifts, the depression will too. In the meantime, I don't want to go to the doctor and I don't want to take medication, so I'm wondering if there are any natural ways to help with depression (other than exercise, which I already do regularly). ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Health

• Make sure you're getting the proper amounts of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin D. Meditation helps some people. I like doing yoga in addition to my vigorous exercise for relaxation and stress-relief. Exercise is VERY important so keep that up.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Try the herb St. Johns Wart. I took that as a teen and it helped a lot.
    LisamomofJames

Answer by LisamomofJames at 2:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Being in the sunlight.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• What has helped me in the past is to just keep busy. Reading, being on the computer and what ever else you enjoy doing!!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The thing that has always worked best for me is getting out of the house and doing something for someone else. It does two things: It gets my mind off of me and my problems and it brings joy to another person's life who may be even more depressed than I am. If you're stuck for ideas, think hospitals, nursing homes, retirement homes, or other places where people are really struggling with loneliness and physical and emotional pain. It really does work!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• take nature walks, homeopathy, aromatherapy, pick up a hobby (I picked up crocheting and baking to distract me from my ocd)...I hope you feel better soon!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Try fish oil! Works for me!!!!!
    ZBME4Mom

Answer by ZBME4Mom at 2:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• St. John's Wort makes a world of a difference!

More sleep, better diet, more sex, eat chocolate, go for peaceful walks, meditate, talk to someone about your feelings and what is bothering you, keep a journal, etc are osme other things I can think of. :)

Good luck! I hope things get better soon!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Meditation, yoga, rest, and laughing, even when something is not funny, not only does that burn calories, it also helps your body release feel good endorfins.
    mamabear8869

Answer by mamabear8869 at 2:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Talking to your girl friends, going to the park and getting out in the Sunshine
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 2:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010