Help with potty training a stubborn 3 1/2 yr old!

OK...so my daughter turned 3 in March - I started potty training her in February....she fully understands what she's supposed to do....she's done it with tons of praise...however, she now refuses to poop on the potty! She will go in her pants....so I tried no pants at all until she does it and gets the hang of it for awhile....right??? WRONG! She did it IN HER BED yesterday! BLACH! So after trying every positive reinforcement trick in the book, my former Pediatrician suggested I take a close toy away...so I did - but that didn't seem to "hit" her hard enough (and I have to say - this is one stubborn child). So today I took her beloved blanket away and WHAM! It worked! Not mean - just took it and said she could have it back when she pooped...which she did about a 1/2 hr later. My question is: is this too harsh???? Can you offer me anything - besides "she'll do it in her time..." That's getting soooo OLD!!! :o)

ZBME4Mom

Asked by ZBME4Mom at 2:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I swore that I would never spank during potty training, but my daughter was extremely stubborn and I ended up doing it. I only had to do it once. I told her before hand that if she did her business anywhere besides the potty, I was going to spank her. Sure enough, she had to try it and see, and I did exactly what I said I would. And that was the end of it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You'll know in another day or so if it will continue to work. I do not think it was too harsh if it truly was not done in a mean way. JMO Explain that you won't have to do that if she starts telling you when she has to go. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I totally feel your pain. I feel like my son has regressed. I've tried everything. Offering rewards (or bribes), except he doesn't do it enough to earn a reward. I've tried ignoring it when he has an accident. I've tried telling him it's ok, he can do it next time. I've even scolded him for it (yes, I know, bad, but I'm at my wit's end). I even spanked him once this weekend, because he deliberately defied me when I tried to get him to go on the potty. He ran back to his playroom and he stood there, held himself and peed (not holding like he was trying to keep it from happening, but hold and aim). Yeah I should have grabbed him and put him on the toilet, but I was (and am) frustrated and since it was deliberate, I reacted.

I would give it up at this point for now and try later, except that he needs to be trained so he can move into the next room at daycare (he's 3, still in the 2s room).

Good luck mama, here's a bump.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• When my 3.5 yo starts regressing, and having what I call "deliberates" not accidents, he he, I get a pull up. She absolutely HATES wearing a pull up since getting big girl undies over a year ago. If she doesn't go to the toilet she wears one. Since starting that, accidents have pretty much stopped. My problem now is her waiting until the LAST POSSIBLE minute to get on that toilet.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2010