potty training is for the birds! :) help please!!!

So we started potty training my daughter who just turned 2 last week. she is doing GREAT! she took to the peeing part so fast! She loves wearing her big girl panties, even at night...which she isnt trained yet! But she WILL not poop in the potty! she will hold it in! then the second i do something she will poop in her pants. but for as long as she on the potty she will scream and yell and cross her legs and hold it in! but she knows where she should go because she will tell me she has to go sit on there and "toot" say "done" and want down but i can clearly see she needs to go! she used to poop at least 1 a day but some days 2-3 now she is holding it and going every other day. what can i do to get her to go? and we try to get her to relax when on there but she wont. i hear a lot of kids go through this but IDK what to do! help please!

babymaddy

Asked by babymaddy at 2:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is afraid...some kids are....they seem to look at that part of potty training like it is a part of their body still... don't stress or she will feel it and make more of a problem.... make it a game as much as you can... ..I would take her in the bathroom with me and show her ....its no big deal.... being silly helps.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had DD on the potty for almost an hour one time. She screamed the whole time. I keep her loaded up with oatmeal (cream pies only 1 a day) to soften it up and watch for the signs. The first time she went on the potty, I had to put some poop in it without her seeing so she thought she did it herself.

We still have days when she's a little constipated where she will hold it in but I make her sit there until she goes.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter was the same way. We did alot of reading books on the potty. Also I would notice when she would go daily and I would take her in there and play some kind of a game as well. I made a HUGE deal when she would go potty.. but you see there is a fear when it comes to pooping for all kids not just girls. My 5 yr old when he was 2 and we potty trained him he would pee but never pop and I tried everything. One day he did poop and he cried and cried almost even freaked out. I think its the OMG what is that and it came out of me kind thing. It takes them a while but on their own they do go poo. Just be patient and do what your doing I mean going pee is half the battle and poo is always the hardest part... Happy Potty training:)
    Dannille33

Answer by Dannille33 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yes it is common. I gave my son an oz or 2 of prune juice mixed with 4 oz of water daily....keept the poop soft so he started going a bit more easy, sincehe was holding it in and intern causing another uncomfortable problem. She will get it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh, and we have a few books about the potty at the toilet. We would sit and read them while he was trying to go. That relaxed him!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• When she finally does go she has the biggest smile on her face and says mommy happy! I always make a big deal out of her going, we give hugs, high fives, kisses, i dance, i sing, and sometimes (not all the time because i dont want her always expecting it) she gets m&ms. again she does GREAT with peeing, its just poop! i will try the stuff to help keep it soft! thanks and keep the answers coming :)
    babymaddy

Comment by babymaddy (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• She's almost there. Stay positive. You are both doing great.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2010