My 16 month old ate a moth!

My son just ate a moth. SO seems to think he will be fine, he acts fine. But I just don't know. It was alive. I was standing in the living room looking at him and he picked it off the wall and stuck it in his mouth, I was screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOO! But by the time I got to him it was too late, he had already swallowed it. What do you think I should do? Think he is okay?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A little protein never hurt anyone ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Hahaha, gross but ok. Once my toddler ate a beetle. I was highly disturbed and almost puked, but I doubt it will cause any problems, his stomach acid should take care of it just fine.
    mommymela87

Answer by mommymela87 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Ewww! You are probably way more grossed out than he is. At worst, he may vomit. I think he will be okay.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 2:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• LOL!! My daughter did the same thing pretty much.
    she had an oreo (which she pulls apart to eat) and we were in the backyard.
    Well, she crouched down next to a flower pot, and started to pull something apart. I assumed it was her oreo.
    WELL my cute little girl had pulled a LIVE cockroach in half, and ate the top/head half.
    She was fine. I just made her chug juice and brush her teeth. :)
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 2:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yucky but he will be just fine!
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 2:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sadly, we eat more bugs on average than we realize or want to realize. And there are more cultures out there that purposely eat bugs than most of us want to know about. Chocolate covered ants for one example. Chocolate covered crickets is another. Ewwww but not harmful and decent in protein.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 3:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• OP, I'll bet you're glad your child ate a moth and not a cockroach!

Kuriequinn, you are right, but I'd rather not think about all the bugs and parts we eat. I know they allow a certain amount of "filth" in the food we buy. (La, la, la, la, not listening!)
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 7:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010