What's the best way to potty train a 2yr old boy? Stand or sit? Big or small potty?

My mom thinks I should stick him on the big potty and his dad says a little potty. I have no idea--his is my first child. Stand or sit? I have no idea what would get the best results. Dad wants to be involved (by example) which would probably help him a lot but dad works out of the house and I work at home on line sooooooooooo I'm on the front lines of this battle. Which worked best for you?

doodlepuss

Asked by doodlepuss at 2:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sit. Unless you're a fan of cleaning up pee. LOL
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Each child is different, but my boys didn't like the baby pottys. We got a toilet ring, and they both learned to sit. :-) Good luck!
    littledb

Answer by littledb at 2:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son just decided to start using the toilet himself. He had to stand up like his dad....so we have a stool for him. He will use the potty..but its all up to him entirely..I never initiated potty training with him he just suddenly chose to do it himself.

I would think if you are initiating it it might be easy for you to get him to sit down..but I would encourage leaving the bathroom door open everytime your partner goes to loo so your son can see what he is doing and get an understanding. I am guessing that is why my son just chose to pick it up as he frequently sees his dad peeing.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• with my son, we are teaching him to sit. Once he gets experienced and taller we will teach standing. As for which potty, we do both. He likes the small potty better, but sometimes likes the toilet. It's good to teach both, especially for when you are out of the house so the child won't be unfamiliar with toilets. Not everyone can carry a small potty around! But there are some cool travel potties that you can fold into a small potty or potty ring.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Alot of people won't like this answer but it worked for me.
    It's summer time.
    When I was potty training my son, I let him "Water" the plants outside.
    We do have a privacy fence though.
    He loved it, it was fun for him, and it really got him started.
    Then he would stand to pee in the toliet too.
    I think it worked very well.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i tried everything for my 2nd child. a little potty, a little seat to put on the big potty, and even a little urinal! he just wasn't going to do it until he was ready!
    i have 2 yo twins now, dd likes the big potty, and ds likes the little potty.
    my sister trained her boys like rachel.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Thank you ladies!!!!! Those are good ideas to keep in mind. We'll try them and see which one my little dude takes to the best.
    doodlepuss

Comment by doodlepuss (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2010