I need potty training tips for my unwilling two year old?

C.Czerwony

Asked by C.Czerwony at 2:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he isn't willing, it will not be sucessful. The average age of potty training is 4-5 years unless you are on Cafemom then it's 18 months. I would wait until he is showing signs otherwise it will be a huge struggle
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Wait. If they are unwilling, forcing the issue won't make it easier. They need to be a willing participant for it to work.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• @jademom: That's funny. My son was 30 months(2.5years)
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• If he is unwilling right now, back off...you will only start a battle of wills that you dont want to be in with a 2 year old.

Leave him completely alone for a month or two....then reintroduce it to him like a brand new idea and in a different way than you did before.

Dont stress I promise he wont go to high school not potty trained...lol....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• You just keep on putting the child on the toilet tell that child understands that, that where he/she goes to the bathroom.

Answer by louise2 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• That is soooo true Jademom....everyone says that about their kids... I will be honest and say that my really intelligent talkative little boy wasn't fully trained till he was 4!!!!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• No Louise, that isn't how to do it. Believe me. And I had a trained in 4 days kid. I don't even recommend that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• never rush or feel rushed! age 2 isnt the magic number for potty training. Readiness signs usually show up when the child is ready to learn. But you CAN teach the basics at this age. Buy potty dvd's and board books, take him in the bathroom w/ you when you have to go and narrate what you are doing.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• i wouldn't force it. all kids are different too. my first son is a people pleaser, and he started sitting on the potty at 18 months. i did not take it seriously. i just let him sit there if he wanted to. he was really trained at 2.
    my second son was 3 and we did a crash weekend potty training. the whole family got involved and made a big deal of it.
    i now have 2 yo twins, one is ready, the other is not.
    if we get a free weekend, we will do the crash course with the ready one, and see if the other comes along for the ride ; )
    don't worry about it though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• If he isn't willing just wait.
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010