What is your exp with a midwife.

I am thinking for my next pregnancy I might use a midwife. What have been your pregnancy and labor experiences with them?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My midwife is amazing! She delivered all 4 of my babies, and does all my annual physicals. She is very calm and patient, which helps sooo much when your in labor lol I highly recommend getting a midwife :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 3:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My advice is that the individual matters more than the title. I've had different providers for all my babies' births, and my midwives ran the gamut from being very laid back and natural-minded to being as interventionary as an OB. I had my oldest with my family doctor, and she was wonderful and if I hadn't moved she would have delivered all my babies. I tend to like the midwife model of care better than the OB model, as it is more focused on pregnancy and birth as a natural process than pregnancy and birth as medical conditions, but there are plenty of midwives out there with a very medical model of care. Interview several providers, and chose the one that you feel most comfortable with based on interviews not just job title.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had a midwife and ob both times. They were in the same practice, and my midwife did all of the usual prenatal care and delivered both of my babies (in the hospital). My ob did my ultrasounds and worked with my high risk specialist. I really feel like it was the best of both worlds. I still got all the medical care I needed from my ob and high risk specialist, but also got all the benefits of a midwife.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I had a homebirth midwife, and I have never felt more taken care of. It is great to use a practitioner that specializes in normal birth when you are low-risk. Many people often forget that OB's are surgeons, and are often overbooked. Depending on the midwife, your care will usually be a lot more personal, and they generally have more trust in your body and your ability to know when something is wrong. They also are trained to handle many variations of birth, such as pain tolerance, baby getting stuck, cord around the neck, etc. They also are generally more concerned with preventitive care, which is usually in relation to how overworked they might be.
    The bottom line is that you should interview several midwives and choose on based on similar philosophy of care, amount of clients she sees at one time, and whether you trust that she will listen to you or not. :) Message me if you want to chat more.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Well there are midwives that practice more like doctors and midwives that support natural child birth etc. I personally delivered my first with a wonderful natural birth midwife in a hospital and had no pain meds and very little intervention. With my second I had different insurance and the other midwife in town that they covered was horrible and practiced more like an OB so I switched to an OB that a friend said practiced more like a midwife and had a wonderful natural delivery with her too. You need to talk to all the midwives in your area and get some feedback from others who have delivered with them. Also talk to some people about the OBs in the area too. If you are looking for natural birth then I would suggest checking out the forums on mothering.com and look under your "tribal area" and ask about experiences with midwives and obs in your area.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• the midwives are kind and supportive. you are allowed the freedom to birth in any position you want to.
    are you planning a midwife with a home birth, or hospital birth, because they will be very different.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• thank you!
    maggiebella25

Comment by maggiebella25 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't have any experience with one. I'm on my 2nd child and it's the same OB/GYN from my first.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I didn't have a midwife with my daughter, but did with my son. I agree with JulieJacobKyle. She was wonderful and I had the best of both worlds using both a midwife and OB.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I've never seen a midwife, but I have an OB who (sounds like) he practices like one. I did have a csection (due to severe preeclampsia and some very scary almost seizure moments), but he made it clear in our prenatal visits that I could have an awful lot of control, as long as things went normally. Obviously they didn't, but I was grateful to have him do my surgery too. I'm very lucky- even the nurses at the hospital sing his praises!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010