My 12 yr old is always bored!

I have tried everything thing. From talking him swimming when it's not raining, to having him play the pc a little bit or the wii. He wont read, he draws a little bit, he more than anything loves to spend his time annoying his 16 yr old sister and his 5 yr old brother. He has way to much energy.. lol
Any ideas?

Dannille33

Asked by Dannille33 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would focus on finding him books he loves. What subjects, fiction or non-fiction, fascinate him? Spend time reading to him. That is what hooked my reluctant reader. ;-) Conspiracy 365 is a great, fast paced adventure series that he may enjoy (www.mommysbookstore.com). Maybe try that. Percy Jackson is also good.

Have you tried camps or lessons?

Good luck!
    littledb

Answer by littledb at 3:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Make him do chores when he says he is bored. He will stop being bored.

Answer by louise2 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Its ok for him to be bored sometimes. Kids get this idea from our society that they NEED to be busy all the time. I think kids need to be board once in a while and learn how to deal with it and how to find something productive to do on their own.

In this life there are a vast array of emotions and feeling...they need time to figure them all out and how to live life. Parents try to hard to "please" kids...then they expect the rest of their life to be "happy" Life is not always happy...sometimes you are sad, lonely or board...and that is ok!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• school
    i am counting the days
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• when i was 12, i had friends who i went over there house & they came to my house all the time. my mom would drop us off at the mall & the movies. or i went to camp. he really shouldnt be sitting around at home or hanging out with his mom all the time at that age, IMO.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Tell him to find something to do or you will find something for him to do (i.e. a disliked chore). He is plenty old enough to keep himself busy without needing momma to fix it or having you running all over and falling all over yourself to keep him occupied.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Well we live on a farm 15 mins from a very small town there is nothing here and you have to travel for an hour to find anything to do. No joke.
    His friends are always busy and we have tried to take him there but they are all on vacations. His class size is around 15 to 18 ... he has 2 other siblings but he is always fighting with them. We have tried doing things but he hasn't found what makes him happy. We tried camps he hates them.
    So .. believe me he isn't hanging around his mom all summer.. I would love to get him out. Thank you very much!
    Dannille33

Comment by Dannille33 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He has chores as well .. he does them all and then is restless. I guess I forgot to mention he has adhd though I did but just looked up. So ... another reason for being busy minded and bored.
    Dannille33

Comment by Dannille33 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• If he is 12 and you live on a farm, then as a boy, he should be able to go outside and find vast arrays of stuff to do. My brother would have at his age...and did....he would build stuff and fix stuff...lol.....break stuff too....hahaha......
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Uh, why does he not go explore and make believe and build a tree house or fort in the woods?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010