How do I get my son who ran away to his dad's in another state to talk to me?

On June 26th of this year my 16yr old son ran away no note no goodbyes just left took everything he owned and left. I feel so lost I do not know what I did wrong and he has not talked to me since. He lives about 250 miles away and I have no address where he is or phone number. What should I do I have sole custody of him he says If try and come get him he will run and I will never find. Help I am going crazy here. Cathy

shoesalingmom

Asked by shoesalingmom at 6:21 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Is dad in on this kind of blackmail? His dad should be putting his foot down letting the kid know that if he doesn't open up the lines of communication, his new place to hide is over. If Dad and you can call his bluff in unison, you should be able to get somewhere. Why did he take off?
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 6:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If you don't have an address or phone # ,who told you he would run away again?That was my first thought. 2nd, 16 year olds are kinda not really knowing what life is all about . do you think all along before he left, he has been talking to his dad and they had been making these plans. 250 miles is not so far to drive and see what the heck happened. He owes you that and so does his father.Don't go crazy(even if you want too), be careful what you say and how you say it. I would really like to know what happened. good Luck.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You said he is with his DAD?, right? Give him his space to be with him! Boys need their fathers....bigtime between 14-18. As long as he is safe from hurting himself, then try your hardest to keep the space! let him kknow you are there if he needs you & then bite your tongue!
    GSPOTmom

Answer by GSPOTmom at 8:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008