how can i stop my 2month old baby from spitting up her food every time after eating.

she has being doing this from birth, no matter the position she is

blair16

Asked by blair16 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gripe Water helped all me kids. I don't think I had to deal with any of them spitting up except a tiny bit here and there.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Hi! For some babies, they just do this, it's called Reflux. Consult with your doctor. In another few months, you can start rice cereal. Otherwise, get used to cleaning up and having a burp rag. My oldest was like that. He's fine now.

But definately call your doctor for a review.

Good luck!
    littledb

Answer by littledb at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Talk to your doctor. Is she formula fed or breast fed?
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Zantac or Gripe water. I would try the gripe water first because it is over the counter.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Wish I had known about Gripe Water!! My DS spit up until he could roll over and sit up.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• my son did this. they have meds for reflux, but giving babies meds at that age except when absolutely neccessary is kind of a ped peeve of mine lol, so i didn't ask the doc for meds. i just asked for home remedies. so he told me to feed different incriments, instead of burping every 2oz, burp at every - 1 1/2. don't sit her up when she's done sitting up scrunches the stomach up, so if her stomach is full, being scrunched up it has to go somewhere, it will hit the top of her esophegus (sp?), activating the gag reflux. so i made sure not to put him down in his swing, high chair, or anything else he would "sit" in. she's going to spit up a bit when burped, that's normal, but it won't be as much as the reflux. GL, hope some of this helps out. if all else fails, you could go ask the doc for the meds if you're really worried.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree with armywife...burp more often and see what you can do to keep the baby from getting scrunched up immediately after eating.
    singtastic

Answer by singtastic at 3:18 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Burp burp & burp again! Burp after an ounce and again & again. Try the Dr. Browns baby bottles. They are GREAT! I never had a problem with my DS spitting up when I used these bottles. They get very little air in them. Good Luck!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• some babies are just spitters. I had 3 who spit a lot. I mean more than the average 2-3 tbsp. Two of them had reflux. They were in pain. One's mouth smelled like stomach acid constantly. The one who didn't have reflux was like "oooh a puddle to splash in!" and a very content child.

There are many meds for reflux as well as reasons. A huge culprit is dairy. It is not a lactose intolerance, but a kind of allergy to a protein in the milk. If you are nursing, you need to cut out all dairy from your diet, and it isn't as easy as you think. It is hidden in a lot of foods. A switch to soy formula can help if you ff. The change won't be instant but can take up to 3 weeks.

As for meds, I would go with a prevacid solutab. They dissolve in the mouth and can be crushed into small pieces for the very young baby. Zantac is super weight sensitive and doctors tend to under dose it. Plus is tastes like mint vodka - yuck!

PM me if you want.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My daughter spit up all the time. Didn't matter if I burped her or not. She never seemed bothered by it, so I didn't really worry too much about it. I just put a bib on her a lot of times and left burp cloths all over the house so they were easy to get to when needed. The Carter's bibs that are cotton on both sides with a waterproof middle are nice.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010