If a 8 year old boy make silly coments about sex in school camp can he be suspended? adult content

My 8 years old is in the stage of discovering nature and sex. He made some silly comments about the little knowlege he have about sex in summer camp and now is in trouble at his school camp. The Camp director told him that he is planning on suspended if he makes another silly coment. I do not understand why they make a big deal about a child talking silly. I believe my son is too yong to be take it so seriusly. I wonder if they are acting if our country doesnt have liberty of expression. I am worry l that they are refreining my son of his liberty of expression and they are going to traumatism him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It is probably considered sexual harassment. If he made an informed comment/statement, Then I would say that's silly. But I could see how making sex jokes with other kids his age would get him into trouble. It is not appropriate, IMO. He's 8, not 18.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Seriously? How about the problems he is causing the other children with exposing them prematurely to sex? Of course they can suspend him, and they SHOULD. He is BREAKING THEIR RULES!

Now, how about teaching your kids to be respectful of others instead of encouraging his misbehavior.

Freedom of speech doesn't guarantee a person that there won't be consequences from what someone says. If I call my boss an asshole, I'm going to get fired, I'm just not going to jail.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• When you say silly waht kinds of things is he saying? if your child wasn't the one making these comments would you want your child to hear others say them? No bashing just a thought.
    maggiebella25

Answer by maggiebella25 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Why not tell us what he said. People are different...what one person considers "silly" another person might consider offensive.

Freedom of speech does not mean its correct or ok to go around saying whatever you want. Kids need to learn that.

But until I know what he said, then I cant make a full comment.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Was it TOWARDS someone? If it was just a comment among friends,than this is ridiculous.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:09 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• he is just goofing around and the strict power over it is weird. tell him to do the rules~don't piss off the power hungry camp leaders~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I do think sometimes camps/schools overreact to innocent comments. However, I don't think this is a 'freedom of speech' issue- it's about appropriateness to the setting. I would explain what the rules are and what the consequences are for not following them. I have an eight year old son too and he sometimes has said stupid things that got him in trouble... as a result he's learned that there is some stuff that just is not appropriate to say.

Out of curiosity, what did he say?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree it's probably sexual harassment and that can be a HUGE deal even if it doesn't seem like it. What was he saying? There are parents out there that would flip a lip over sexual things that other parents think are petty. He was properly warned and should not do it again.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He said it once and was corrected , say it again and he will get suspended...Sounds fair to me

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It seems like an 8 year old, in most cases, should have enough self control to refrain from making sex jokes if he is asked not to by his caregivers and/or parents.

Suspending a child for a non-violent/ destrictive behavior is totally ridiclous but i don't think your son has a fundamental right to share dirty jokes with minor peers.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2010