I need your help!!

I had a level 2 ultrasound done at 17 weeks. The technician got everything she needed to send to my doctor. My boyfriend has a cleft lip and that was one thing the tech was really looking for the first time around. My results were good. Everything came back okay. I just got a regular ultrasound done at my 27 week checkup and my doctor thinks he might have seen a cleft lip on my baby girl. He just ordered another level two ultrasound for me. Could the cleft have not developed at 17 weeks? The tech got a facial picture and a profile picture at the 17 week for certain. I just don't understand how could they have missed something like that?

amv1010

Asked by amv1010 at 3:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Health

• bumpI really don't know...Good Luck though.

BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I'm not positive, but I think it would develop early on. I don't think its something that starts whole then later separates. A cleft lip is when in most pregnancies the lip comes all the way together, and a baby with a cleft just didn't finish coming together. I'm no professional though. But I did read about it a lot before I had it checked out in my own pregnancies.
    As for them not catching it at 17 weeks, The baby was much smaller then, only a few inches long and a few ounces. Now baby is much bigger and it would be easier to see. A 17 week old baby's face would be so so tiny, I could see how it would be hard tell until later on. However, I think with your husband having it, they want to be extra thorough. Good Luck to you. I'm sure either way, your little one will be perfect as ever. =)
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My sister had that same situation, they told her it would have developed very early on, when the face was developing. The face couldnt fully develop, and then a cleft lip come after that. It happened the same time the face is developing. If they didnt see it early on, then something may have been making the picture blurry when you went in for your last sonogram. They told her at 14 weeks they would have already seen it. As far as you are, and they have never seen it at your past appointments, I would say your in the clear hun. Congrats on your beautiful gift! <3
    faithfully2God

Answer by faithfully2God at 3:35 AM on Jul. 21, 2010