What do you think is the hardest part of raising your teen?

I have a pretty good insight as my teens are 16 and well 12 (preteen).

The ups and downs are amazing .... as I am sure you know.

So how about you?

Dannille33

Asked by Dannille33 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't have my own bio teens (yet) but I have 3 step teens :)
    I think the hardest part for ME..as being just a step mom... I would have to say is letting go is the hardest thing. The oldest is going to college this year and I am watching thier dad and it just seems like he feels he's being pulled in two different directions with it..one letting him go enuogh to be his own man and in the other hand..holding on to his kid,lol.
    He worries constantly about him moving 3 hours away to a dorm...worries on what he's going to do about changing his oil and what he's gonna do if his tire goes flat,lol. I told him...you had to learn too dad..you did it and you were fine..he'll be okay! Just trust that you raised him well and taught him well and he will do well.
    I know its easier for ME than it is for HIM...I will be there soon enough! :(
    Why do our babies have to grow up??? sniffle sniffle,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• The hardest part about raising a teen is having them move on without you.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 3:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think the hardest part of raising my children through the teens was in knowing what they were able to handle on their own and when they still needed their daddy and me to handle things for them. I think our tendency is to think that our children really crave independence from us when what they really want is for us to still take care of some of the crap for them. It was a balancing act to not do things for them that they needed to do on their own and at the same time, not to dump responsibilities or decisions on them that they were simply not yet ready to handle. We have to really stay close to our children during these years and pay close attention to all that is going on with them in order to know when to step in and when to step aside. To me, that was the hardest part.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:31 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Telling them they do not have the latest GADGET (cell phone, video game) etc. TOO much peer pressure!
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2010