How much a part of your life is your daycare provider??

Did you know them before you brought your child to them? How long to you stay and talk to her when you pick your child/children?
I am tossed up on this. My son went to a center for 15 months and he really did not do well there, we are currently signed up for him to attend a home daycare, I had went to 4 different places, stopped when I found what I thought was the best for him, but I didn't know her before hand and I am just still having a hard time thinking of where the balance should be.. I mean, she will be watching my son ALL DAY, should you try to become "friends" with the women/people who watch your child all day.. ?? or leave it as a business proposition?? I don't know.. I just have a hard time with it all together any way...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in General Parenting

• My little ones are at a center. I didn't know the provider(s) before they started there. Some days I just drop off and pick up, and other days I chat for a while. The first week or two my kids are in a new class, when they have a new provider, or when my kids are in a new phase (potty training) I spend more time talking to the providers than other times. Since I see them on a daily basis I try to keep it short most of the time, and I find it is more convenient to them if I chat with them at drop off than it is at pick up time when we are all ready to go home. I do like the providers and genuinly care about them. The service they provide to me is a very personal one on a daily basis, so I think that makes it different than just a business relationship, and I do view them as friends to a certain extent. I've bonded more with some providers than others, but I've liked all of them.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Personally I would say that if your having this hard of a time.. you might really want to sit down and think about having a family member or close friend do this. Pay them.. so your not taking advantage of them.. but ya.. atleast you know where they stand on the issues.. ex spanking, pets around your kid... ya know.. just a thought
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• you are contracting her, so it is kinda business first. i bet it goes great and you guys just greet in the am and pick up for 5 mins~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I am all for home daycare, especially for a closeness factor. I worked at a center in college, and honestly didn't get very close to the families. I worked in different rooms, and there was a lot of teacher turnover I saw as well.

My DD goes to a home daycare. I did not know her at first, but 3 years later she is a friend. She's so great with DD. We talk on the phone, go over for weekend picnics, etc. I have the utmost trust in her.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010