UH OH =/

I had a level 2 ultrasound done at 17 weeks. The technician got everything she needed to send to my doctor. My boyfriend has a cleft lip and that was one thing the tech was really looking for the first time around. My results were good. Everything came back okay. I just got a regular ultrasound done at my 27 week checkup and my doctor thinks he might have seen a cleft lip on my baby girl. He just ordered another level two ultrasound for me. Could the cleft have not developed at 17 weeks? The tech got a facial picture and a profile picture at the 17 week for certain. I just don't understand how could they have missed something like that?

amv1010

Asked by amv1010 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Go to www.WebMd.com and type in cleft lip. There is a lot of information on there about it. It is treatable. I pray she does not have it. Good luck to you all. God Bless.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:37 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• the part of the mouth/nose where the cleft lip is, is the last place on the babies body that the skin develops during gestation. But, at 17 weeks, i would think that the skin has already been developed. Maybe your Dr. is just being overly cautious. Girls are less likely to have a cleft lip/pallet than boys. With the surgery they can do today though, most fixed cleft lips/pallets go completely unnoticed by others.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I agree that the Dr is probably just being overly cautious. Hope she is ok, if not, the Dr's who fix those type of things are SOOO good. I saw a show on it the other day and you could NOT tell this kid had one.

Hopefully you wont have to go through that though! Good luck :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• im sorry to hear that but i dont know what that is
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sometimes it can be hard to see, especially if it is not affecting the lip that much. My friend's first two babies had a problem with just the palate, but not the lip. It was undetectable on the ultrasound. Her third baby had no problems. It was impossible to breastfeed in her case, but she did pump for a long time. That is not the case with all cleft lip problems. If you are concerned at all, you should make sure to see a lactation consultant within the first 24 hours of birth and have her number on call for any other problems you might fact once at home. Here is some info about it.

squish

Answer by squish at 5:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2010