How much solids does your infant eat?

My nine month old has been eating rice, oatmeal, yogurt, fruits and veggies since 4 and a half months. She still prefers to nurse and only has a few bites of solids at each meal usually 1-2 oz. Now that we're trying stage 2 and 3 mixtures, one jar lasts for several meals. We still breastfeed most of the day, but when I feed her, I try to always do it before nursing so that she's got an appetite. She's also huge, 90th percentile, so no concerns about her getting enough nutrition, just wanted to see how much other 9 months old out there are eating! ;)

babyjakesmama

Asked by babyjakesmama at 3:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds good to me. At 9 mo, my son was only eating a few spoonfuls of food every other day or so. To me, it sounds like you're on the right track. Follow her lead.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• at nine months, my dd was taking a bottle still. her first table food was fried rice, and tacos at 10 months at a mexican restaurant. she never took baby food either. now she's almost 2 and eats EVERYTHING lol.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Yeah, my ds only started 'meals' after he turned one. He'd have a few bites evry day and mostly nurse for the majority of his first year :)
    mama02040608

Answer by mama02040608 at 3:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Breastmilk is still all she needs at this point, up until she's a year old. There's no reason to push solids; she'll get there when she's ready. If you're worried about her getting the nutrition she needs, the best thing to do is to go back to nursing first so she at least gets a full meal that way. If that's all she wants for now, that's ok. :)

My first (now 3 years) didn't start eating solids regularly until 9 or 10 months, at which point it was usually 1/2 or 1 jar (stage 2, he never liked stage 3) 2-3 times a day, if that. My second (now 15 months) also didn't start eating solids regularly until 9 or 10 months (regular table foods for her, she never liked baby food), and with her it was 1-2 times a day. They've both grown fine and have had no issues from a later appetite.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I don't know. We went straight to table food and I don't measure intake. We mealshare. Sometimes it is quite a bit and sometimes nothing.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Sounds like your both doing fine i wouldn't worry about it she will eat the most or least she wants too.
    TJ89

Answer by TJ89 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 19, 2010