How do I help my son be excited about school starting? He's 6 it should be fun right?

I know the fact ha has Asperger's doesn't help. He will be in a new class with a new teacher and new kids...it's all pretty scary to him. I can't make it fun with school supplies since they are shared and he can't get 'cool' stuff. I can't get him excited with new clothes I just can't afford it and he has stuff that still looks good and fits. Every time I try to talk about it he clams up or freaks out. Any good ideas?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2010 in

• Awwww, poor little guy. My dd has mild aspergers and I am worried about her starting too. She is going to a special preschool this year and will be 6 when she starts next year :) So I am there with ya :)

I would take him to the school as much as possible. (is this a typical public school?) If so, they should be MORE THAN willing to let him stay and visit and get use to the surrounding. Show him the potty, the library, the table and chair he might sit in.....TAKE PICTURES of him while he is there, make him a brag book to show his grandparents etc.

TALK IT UP....make it seem like you are jealous you cant go b/c it will be so much fun! Help him learn how to brag to his grandparents about how cool his school is.....tell them to act excited too and ask him questions.

He will think he is a BIG DOG...lol.

If his school wont let you do this, pitch a fit, does he have a IEP...if he does, they cant stop you from doing this
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• It "should" be whatever it is. By that I mean don't keep telling him that it should be fun, just allow him to feel however he's feeling. Nothing weird about pictures, if you want to do that then go ahead!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it was the thrill of purchasing new school supplies, bookbag, and clothes that got my kids excited.There's also a little anticipation and fear of going from one grade to the next.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• can you go ride bikes on campus while its closed still? kinda own the grounds a little? do a dress rehearsal and get there when nobody is there..maybe just teachers and go see his cubby or backpack place?
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Hope it all goes well for him!!!! Good luck :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• My son was nervous too before starting school. So the week before we went up to see the classroom and get use to some things.Then we went to the playground and had a picnic... just things to get him use to being there good luck
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 3:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• He has an IEP. They started talking to him about the new class room structure for 1st grade vs. K. Like desk instead of tables and no toys in the class room. He was academically WAY ready to go to first grade but I'm not sure he is ready on other levels. His teacher was hand picked to meet his needs. WE go meet her on Aug 5. 4 days before school starts. NOT much time. I had considered pictures myself but thought it might be weird. Ya think?
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I would have him visit the school beforehand and hopefully meet his teacher as well. This could help him be less afraid to go to school. Tell him how much fun it will be to learn and play with other kids his age.

Is there a child he knows who is starting the same grade at the same school? Maybe you can arrange for him to have that child placed in your child's class.

Have him help you buy school supplies, let him pick out some special clothing items, shoes and a backpack and lunch box he likes. This will also help him get excited about it.

You can volunteer in his class which will help you get to know the teacher and kids in his class. I found it helped my kids when I did this as the other kids got to know me and my kids together. It really did help break the ice. I had fun as well. It is very rewarding to help in the classroom. The teacher really appreciated the help from the p

Good luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• I think when you have a child with special needs, you do WHATEVER you need to do to help them succeed :) As a teacher myself, I would be VERY impressed with a mom that was willing to go the extra mile to help her son be ready!

The teachers should look at you doing this and be impressed :) I would. This way he can see it daily and family can see his environment too and help him to get excited about it too !!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2010

• Oh and dont worry about visiting before the "visitation" day....faculty really TRULY do not mind when they see a mom helping her child to be ready!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2010